Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Access security cams at work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

I'm typing this on my phone, so please bear with me. It turns out that my girlfriend of a year is an alcoholic and has been hiding it from me. She didn't drink while pregnant with our child but has had significant relapses and the last month. I'm trying to access my security cameras from work but unfortunately the firewall does not allow them through. I tried setting up a PHP script that would email myself images from the cameras, but Gmail got upset with the number of emails I was sending and has temporarily disabled my ability to send emails. I need a way to access those cameras in near real-time even though there is a firewall that prevents me from connecting directly to my home PC. I also tried setting up my own SMTP server using mercury mail, but no matter what I do it won't authenticate. I don't have any problems receiving emails at gmail, so I still think that's the best solution at the moment to receiving near real-time images from home.

There really is no solution but for her to be at home with the kids, so please keep comments directed towards solving the problem at hand. I appreciate any help that I get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lost_packet

lost_packet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

Okay here is what you need to do.

1. Install an ftp server on your home computer.

2. Set up the login details to remotely log in.

3. Set the camera's recording destination to one of the ftp shared folders.

Or just set up remote desktop connection and log in and check them.

#3 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

I appreciate the quick response, but I don't think I can access a private ftp server through the firewall. If I could I would just serve the feeds directly.

The firewall only allows major, well-known websites, thus my use of Gmail. (I'm in the military)
I can't access remote desktop for the same reason.

#4 lost_packet

lost_packet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

Oh I see the firewall is on your end. You probably shouldn't connect to your home computer from government computers for a number of reasons. The biggest is what if you have malware on your commuter and finds its way to the ftp server and it ends up on your work computer. Then spreads throughout whatever military network you are on and finds its way to the nuclear control systems... They wouldn't be pleased. You are probably better off either seeking some sort of marriage counseling or sending the child to a daycare during the day. If you are in the military;m sure there is some sort of program you can go through to get it discounted.

#5 Jmsolyk2

Jmsolyk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

Please stay on topic. I'm already pursuing every other avenue, but, as I've stated, have no choice but to leave them with her during the day. What I require is being able to check the cameras, somehow, despite the work firewall. It will in no way open anything to malware, especially critical systems that aren't connected to the unclassified internet.

#6 lost_packet

lost_packet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

It will in no way open anything to malware, especially critical systems that aren't connected to the unclassified internet.

Except that it totally can. 

Try setting an http server up on your home computer and have it display either real time footage or logs. 

Check out

WebcamXP

Yawcam

Check this out too.

I mean, the bottom line is you are trying to access something that isn't allowed from your work military computer. Alarm bells should be ringing. That isn't a good idea especially in wake of so many intelligence leaks. 

This isn't the only way. You can get a court order, custody, etc if you really had to. 

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

There is this thing called port forwarding... which should have been mentioned at the beginning.

Most camera manuals have a "access from the internet" or a port forwarding section in the manual. 

Or you can go to portforward.com to review some of their port forwarding tutorials.

You do need to know what ports your DVR or camera system uses so you can forward them.

Accessing a home camera system in no why puts any computer at risk.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 November 2015 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users