Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se won't finish installing due to lack of memory

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 perhistoric

perhistoric

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

I just joined the forum to see if somene can guide me in getting windows 98se to do a complete install on a wiped hard drive.

I'm very computer illiterate so any body that is able to help me will have to give me every step in complete detail, such as the exact command prompts to get into the file systems, etc.

I've burned an istallation disc from the Getintopc website, wiped an 60GB hard drive with Linux Gparted and am using the disc to try and install Windows 98se to it.

IT successfully formatts the hard drive, loads the files and reboots before setting up the hardware. Then it says it can't initiallize windows because of a lack of memory.

I understand that this is because I have 1.5 GB of memory. I have tried Microsofts fix of editing the system.ini file by adding MaxPhysPage=30000 on the same line as [386nh]  and then clicking on Alt and F to bring up the window to allow meto click on save and then close. Then I don't know what command promt will get me out of the widow so I can reboot the computer, so I just power it off and restart it.

The same window comes up telling me I don't  have enough memory.

I don't know if I've done the fix properly or if it just isn't the answer.

Any help would be appreciated, but please keep  in mind that the instructions have to be as if you are talking to somebody in kindergarden.

Thanks

Prehistoric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi again.

Nobody has answered my request for help but I have done some research on my own and have come up with a solution that looks feasible to me but I'm having trouble following it through.

The solution I like is to to add these  lines to the batch file to include these lines;

Modify the install section to include this line;

Udate Inis=Edit Files

Add these lines at the end of MsBATCH.INF:

[Edit.Files]

%10%\System.ini,386Enh,,"MaxPhysPage=30000"

%10%\system.ini,Vache,,"MaxFileCache=524288"

I know I have to put the installation cd into the cdrom drive, go to my computer and right click on the cdrom drive and then click on explore and TOOLS, RESKIT, BATCH, and then SETUP.EXE.

That's where it losses me.

It scares me as when I right click in that it says it is starting to remove files and the files will be lost if I quit the installation, although I kept going and eventually end up with the box that said status; click gather now to begin, although that box wasn't optional.

Going through some of the options that it did offer, I only felt safe in adding the product ld.

I'm guessing the advanced option box is where I need to start, and I did play around with it a bit although when I suggested changes go to cd in the cdrom drive, and played around a bit more it told me it was read only and not the proper access.

As I said in my previous request for help, and as you can probably already tell, I'm not very computer literate and need to be guided completely and with as simple a language as possible.

Also when I try to install Windows 98se to my computer it is to an empty hard drive with no other hard drive connected to the computer at the time.

Any help from someone with a lot of knowledge and patience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#3 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hi again.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that  the lines added to the batch file were to be implemented  in the actual  installation cd.

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

How many sticks of RAM do you have? Pull one to get it under or at 1GB and then after install modify the system.ini file as shown here. Then reinstall your RAM stick.

#5 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi JohnC_21

Thanks for replying to my request for help.My computer has 1.5 GB of memory, two 512 sticks and two 256 sticks.

I can see where removing the required amount of memory should do the trick but I guess after installation if you put the memory back without editing the .ini. file then your system will not operate.

I will get back to you after I try it, but would first like to alter the files in actual installation cd before I try to install windows 98SE.

When I open up the batch.exe file to do this it says it cannot open open OPTIONAL.INI. and I won't be able to make any changes.

Does any one out there know how to open the OPTIONAL.INI. file when you recieve that message?

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Off the top of my head, I would do the following. Create an iso file from the install disk using Imgburn. Using an iso manager like Poweriso copy out the Optional.ini file or any other files you need to edit. Then save the files back to the iso file opened in Poweriso. Save the new iso with the edited files. Then burn the iso to a disk.

Is this feasible?

#7 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi JohnC_21

I downloaded PowerISO and then used it to copy BATCH.EXE. and when it asked me to save it to a new folder, I said yes and it said it was saving it  to a temp file in documents but I don't see it there. It also keeps trying to get me to buy the program which I don't want to do.

Any ideas as to what is going on. It did manage to open the file and copy it but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

You need to purchase Poweriso unfortunately in order to save the files back to the iso file. Sorry I was not clear on that. How did you plan on starting Batch.exe during install? I am sorry but I can't go any further on helping as I don't have enough experience trying to run a batch file during the OS install.

There may be another option to do it free but I have to investigate it further. Edit: I am looking at this software to see if I can mount and edit an iso file.

http://pismotec.com/download/

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#9 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hi again JohnC_21

I was hoping to make the changes in the BATCH.EXE. files and then save them back into the installation files and  burn a new  cd and let the cd do the work as it installed windows98SE.

With my limited knowledge on the workings of all things computer, maybe that was not possible.

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

Somebody else on the Forum may know how but unfortunately I do not. If you want to get up and running then I would take out the RAM sticks. You can add the RAM after install and if you need to edit any file you can do it with a bootable disk like Hirens CD.

The program I linked to does not allow read and write on an iso file. Only read. 

#11 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thanks JohnC_21,

You've given me some insight that I didn't have before and in reality I was too timid to try entering the changes into the computer and basically wanted see if I could do it without playing around with the computer first as I was warned that I could really screw up the computer if I didn't know what I was doing.

Thanks for all your help and if you have some time maybe you could guide me on how to do it directly into the motherboard.

Prehistoric.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

If you do decide to remove the RAM sticks then pull the power plug and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Open the side panel and touch bare metal before removing the RAM sticks. You can also use what is called a static strap that wraps around the wrist with a wire and alligator clip to attach to some bare metal. If you are not comfortable doing it than find someone who is. If you take your time and be careful you should be okay.

Was there any reason you wanted to install Windows 98? Was it for old games? A computer with your RAM and HDD size would indicate that it ran XP at one time.

#13 perhistoric

perhistoric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi JohnC_21

The only reason that I want to add windows 98 as an extra operating system is so that I can use an old epson stylus photo printer that was working well berore my hard drive became too corrupted to rescue. I was running windows xp before  and the printer worked with it but  I'm using windows xp black now and there are no  fixes that will allow it to work with xp anymore and believe me I've tried.

I'm comfortable with removing some ram, but the guidance I need is in adding additional script to the                                                    MSBatch.ini.file, such as modifying the Install Section to include this line;

Update Inis=Edit Files

Add these lines at the end of the MSBATCH.INF;

[Edit.Files]

%10%\system.ini,386 Enh,, "MaxPhysPage=30000

%10%\system.ini,vache,, "MaxFileCache=524288"

And then some more stuff on pagefiles and swap files

What I need is step by step on how to access the files, add the new additions, and then how to save them and then how to get back out and reboot. I did make it to the .ini. file section and add some changes but whatever I did, I didn't do correctly as it didn't work in getting windows 98se past the no memory error.

Thanks,

Prehistoric

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

I had an old epson stylus color 600 but it finally gave out. If I can remember correctly I was able to run it in XP by installing the XP drivers for the stylus color 640. The 600 never had XP drivers but the 640 did.

If you remove the RAM and get Windows 98 to boot I would then install the extra ram. You can create a Hirens Boot disk that has miniXP. Using that you can edit the files you need offline. When Hirens boots select minxp. With Hirens you would be able to edit and save the files back to your Win98 OS HDD outside of Win98.

But, I have not clue on which files need to be edited or what edits they need. 

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Batch.exe is a 32bit app and you run that while in windows. It starts a gui interface and walks you through the steps to create a automation.inf of your installation. You do that  preferably after you installed all your drivers nic etc. The error you're getting is due to you having to much memory. You need to limit that to 512MB by booting to a dos disk with edit on it and edit the system.ini file. Something like...

[VCache]
MinFileCache=524288
MaxFileCache=524288

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users