Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with setting up wireless LAN

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eltrom

eltrom

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm a networking newb, I want to try to help a friend with converting her LAN to WLAN. There are 6 desktops, two printers and a voip phone wire-connected to each other through a switch and a router. I also need to make 3 desktops able to access each other's drive, 2 desktops able to share only a specific folder, and 1 computer unable to access anything on the other 5 desktops but printers and yet this specific desktop's drive is accessible by the other 5 desktops. is it correct that I will need to do the following:

1. Have six TL-WN722N usb wireless adapters and a wireless router provided.
2. Have each desktop attached to the usb wireless adapter.
3. Have the wireless adapater's driver installed on each desktop.
4. Have each desktop connected to the wireless router's SSID
5. Have each desktop joined a same workgroup/domain.
6. Get to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
7. Turn on sharing options.

I'm not sure what to do next, Can anybody help me with this?

THank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

Depends, what problems are you having?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Depends, what problems are you having?

Lack of knowledge I guess :(

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

Was the folder and printer sharing already working with the wired system? Are you able to access the drives between computers? Are you able to see the shared printers on the network?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Was the folder and printer sharing already working with the wired system? Are you able to access the drives between computers? Are you able to see the shared printers on the network?

Yes, every thing seems to work as they should on the wired LAN connection, this is still a plan, I haven't started the work yet. I was thinking that I may need to reconfigure a lot of thing since wireless and ethernet are two different interfaces, please help me, thank you!

Edited by eltrom, 13 November 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

You shouldn't have any issues. As long as all the devices are the same network, the type of connection should not matter. If the devices are already connected with Ethernet, why would you convert them to wireless? You could just add wireless capability to the network to allow wireless devices to connect.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

You shouldn't have any issues. As long as all the devices are the same network, the type of connection should not matter. If the devices are already connected with Ethernet, why would you convert them to wireless? You could just add wireless capability to the network to allow wireless devices to connect.

They are moving the computers upstairs and the LAN cables aren't long enough :(

1 computer unable to access anything on the other 5 desktops but printers and yet this specific desktop's drive is accessible to the other 5 desktops.

Say that specific desktop isn't set up yet, how do we make it happen? Please explain me step by step, thank you!

#8 moxom

moxom

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hey there,

I don't have much experience working with permissions outside a domain, but my guess would be that you should do this share each folder to a specific computer and user, for example; on each of the 2 folders you want shared between 2 pc's you add a specific read/write/whatever permission to 'THEOTHERPCNAME\Username'.

In the end you will have specific permissions for each pc and as such, the last pc will not be able to access anything - except the printer.  

I've never actually done it, but this is how I would try :)

Good luck!

#9 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hey there,

I don't have much experience working with permissions outside a domain, but my guess would be that you should do this share each folder to a specific computer and user, for example; on each of the 2 folders you want shared between 2 pc's you add a specific read/write/whatever permission to 'THEOTHERPCNAME\Username'.

In the end you will have specific permissions for each pc and as such, the last pc will not be able to access anything - except the printer.  

I've never actually done it, but this is how I would try :)

Good luck!

I think I clearly understand what you typed there, will keep you guys updated with my progress, thank you and good luck to you too!

Edited by eltrom, 16 November 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#10 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

All good now, I used a WDS-bridged router that interconnects with the clients via a switch and cat 5 wires. Thank you guys, have a nice day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users