Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory, Using A Usb Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Would a dedicated USB flash drive would better than HD space? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Will it work as good or better than hard drive space?

1. yes (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Do not know enough to say. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Would the limitation be the USB bandwidth?

1. Yes (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

This idea is a waste of time.

1. The benifit is not there. Scrap the idea. (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

I have an add on USB card that has an internal port. I was wondering if I would see a performance difference if I used a 1Gb USB 2.0 flash drive instead of 1Gb of hard drive space? The response should be quicker but the bandwidth is not as great as IDE.

Edited by acklan, 22 July 2006 - 11:34 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

I've done a bit of reading on this for Vista (the ReadyBoost feature) and have come to the conclusion that it's the Read and Write speeds that are considered critical for this type of operation.

I've tried it on Vista with a 1 gB USB drive and didn't notice any significant improvement. So I bought a 2 gB USB drive by the same maker and Vista wouldn't accept it (FYI - it was SanDisk).

Most of the arguements against this are that USB Flash drives aren't that much quicker than current hard drives - so there won't be any noticeable difference.

I am waiting for the extensible RAM chip systems that allow you to run 4 gB of RAM as your swapfile (and for even larger one's so that I can boot XP/Vista off of them!). But it's still way, way too expensive!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:38 AM

I've done a bit of reading on this for Vista (the ReadyBoost feature) and have come to the conclusion that it's the Read and Write speeds that are considered critical for this type of operation.

I've tried it on Vista with a 1 gB USB drive and didn't notice any significant improvement. So I bought a 2 gB USB drive by the same maker and Vista wouldn't accept it (FYI - it was SanDisk).

Most of the arguements against this are that USB Flash drives aren't that much quicker than current hard drives - so there won't be any noticeable difference.

I am waiting for the extensible RAM chip systems that allow you to run 4 gB of RAM as your swapfile (and for even larger one's so that I can boot XP/Vista off of them!). But it's still way, way too expensive!

I just brought a 4GB USB flash drive from AMAZON for 22.40 including P+P
This is readyboast compatible and has U3 Technology in it (SanDisk)

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users