Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Microsoft starts rolling out its first major update to Windows 10", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

Microsoft begins rolling out today, November 12, its first major update to Windows 10 -- the set of features officially called the "November Update," and codenamed "Threshold 2."

The update, Build 10586 (also known as Version 1511, for November 2015) is the test build for PCs and tablets which Microsoft released to its Windows Insider testers last week. It will be available to existing Windows 10 users as a Cumulative Update via Windows Update starting today. It also will be available as of today to Windows 7 and 8.1 customers who have not yet upgraded to the RTM version of Windows 10 that Microsoft released in late July.

The November update includes a number of updates to Cortana, Microsoft's Edge browser, and other Windows 10 interface elements. It also includes support for the Windows 10 Store for Business and the bulk of the management pieces required by business users who may want to take advantage of Microsoft's Windows Update for Business service.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-its-first-major-update-to-windows-10/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Parallel article in TechRepublic, here.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

Another one on ArsTechnica.

Windows 10 November Update: features, fixes, and enterprise readiness

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

Am I right in saying Threshold 2 will be another 4GB download and it will be pushed as an automatic update? People with data caps are not going to be happy.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#5 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

Well, the second threshold in my house, is out the back door !

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

Am I right in saying Threshold 2 will be another 4GB download and it will be pushed as an automatic update? People with data caps are not going to be happy.

Most likely an automatic update, yes, since I can see Treshold being seen as an "Important" update as well.

unite_blue.png

#7 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

It won't be pushed on a connection that's marked as metered. Folks will have time to go to a friend's house to download it. Of course, in regions where everyone is metered, that could be a problem.

I haven't, yet, gotten the update on my Pro x64 desktop. My laptop, Home x64, downloaded it successfully, but it failed to install. I've been watching the thread on Ten Forums, and I am not alone. Might try the Media Creation Tool, tomorrow, or I might wait a bit to see why the installs are failing.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

I just installed a bunch of updates (probably the ones from Patch Tuesday), but the November update isn't in it yet. And I'm sure it'll unlock Cortana for my region (because apparently Cortana is available in Canada now, but French Canada, aka Québec, I don't know).

Hobbled Cortana arrives in Canada, Australia, Japan, and India

Edited by Aura, 12 November 2015 - 10:15 PM.

unite_blue.png

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

It won't be pushed on a connection that's marked as metered. Folks will have time to go to a friend's house to download it. Of course, in regions where everyone is metered, that could be a problem.

I haven't, yet, gotten the update on my Pro x64 desktop. My laptop, Home x64, downloaded it successfully, but it failed to install. I've been watching the thread on Ten Forums, and I am not alone. Might try the Media Creation Tool, tomorrow, or I might wait a bit to see why the installs are failing.

Have you also noticed while there how many posts there are and how many of those posts actually go unanswered, and of those few answered had an actual workable solution?  The last time I went I actually looked at 15 pages and only about 10% got replys at all.  Kinda gives the impression Microsoft really does not want to hear about our problems we may have.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

Have you also noticed while there how many posts there are and how many of those posts actually go unanswered, and of those few answered had an actual workable solution?  The last time I went I actually looked at 15 pages and only about 10% got replys at all.  Kinda gives the impression Microsoft really does not want to hear about our problems we may have.

They also are probably getting a stream of telemetry data letting them know about said problems.  How quickly fixes will be forthcoming is another issue altogether.  I just applied the latest update to my old Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that's running Win10 Pro 32-bit.  Interestingly enough, it has somehow hosed my keyboard, as a select collection of keys on the right side, 'i' and '8' among a couple others, suddenly do not work.  I just said in another post that woe be unto Microsoft if this first major update to Win10 starts screwing up keyboards!!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

I'm not doing anything today. High winds, big trees, and a battery on life-support don't make for a good day to upgrade. Yet another reason for MS not to push upgrades without warning.

I read that some folks had their settings changed with the upgrade. Maybe your keyboard issue is just a settings glitch? No, I don't think so, either...

Dannyboy, Ten Forums isn't a part of Microsoft. It's an independent BB. But, yes, it's a bit too busy for my taste, but I do like reading the News section, and their tutorials rock.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

I'm not doing anything today. High winds, big trees, and a battery on life-support don't make for a good day to upgrade. Yet another reason for MS not to push upgrades without warning.

I read that some folks had their settings changed with the upgrade. Maybe your keyboard issue is just a settings glitch? No, I don't think so, either...

Dannyboy, Ten Forums isn't a part of Microsoft. It's an independent BB. But, yes, it's a bit too busy for my taste, but I do like reading the News section, and their tutorials rock.

Sorry I did not know that I always got there thru Microsoft support thought it was one of their community forums. My bad.  Is this the same forum as yours you go to? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=threads&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&tm=1444624133315&auth=1

Edited by dannyboy950, 13 November 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#13 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Nope. http://www.tenforums.com/

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

Ok so there are 2 of them similar but different.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

It looks like I didn't receive the update yet. Still waiting for it. I might receive it tomorrow or on Sunday.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users