Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cloud4004

cloud4004

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:09 AM

Whenever my computer reads a virtual disk drive it freezes and then shuts down. I'm thinking I might be missing an important .sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. Is there any way I can find out which driver I'm missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the virtual drive?

What software are you using for the virtual drive?

Also some system stat's on your system if possible?

#3 cloud4004

cloud4004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

Really I think it's a .sys file that's suppose to controll virtual drives. It crash for any kind of virtual drive. It use to for Dameon Tools and Alcohol. Now it's crashing for my flash drive (which also seems to launch some kind of virtual drive).

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

Check your Event Viewer in Administrative tools.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

OK I do not want to sound like a nasty but we need some more information than you are giving here. If you can please answer the questions I asked in the second post, I am kind of that way I need to know somethings before I can diagnose a problem.

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the virtual drive?

What software are you using for the virtual drive?

Also some system stat's on your system if possible?

#6 cloud4004

cloud4004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

I'm not using any applications other than my flash drive wich launches a virtual disk drive when I plug it in. & "re-installing my virtual drive" won't do any good because it's a problem dealing with a missing sys file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. It's not a single virtual drive problem, any virtual drive (no matter what or where) that is scanned will shut down my computer. So I'm thinking I'm missing a .sys that controlls virtual drives...

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

Do you have SP2 installed and all subsequent Critical updates?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:46 AM

There are 301 files in my C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder (XPPro SP2 w/all updates). Of those, 281 are .sys files. Which one are you missing?

So, what make and model is your flash drive? I'm familiar with several flash drives (including some that launch U3 based drives (which appear to be CD drives)) - but haven't heard of virtual drives being launched automatically on a flash drive.

So, I'm assuming that you didn't have to install any additional software to get these "virtual drives" running.

If that is the case - then your best course of action (without any further information being provided) would be to run SFC.EXE from the Run dialog (and visiting Windows Update when it finishes).

Should that not work, then I'd suggest a repair install of Windows XP.

This does not consider that there may be a problem with your chipset/motherboard or any other related drivers (which would change my approach to the problem significantly if I had more info about them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 cloud4004

cloud4004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

I'm missing sptd.sys & my flash drive is a (u3 smart) 512mb ScanDisk. It launches a little virtual drive (I don't know what for) when you plus it in...

I don't know why else my computer would crash on scanning a virtual drive other than the fact that I'm missing sptd.sys.

Edited by cloud4004, 24 July 2006 - 02:40 AM.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

Removed by ThorXP

Edited by ThorXP, 24 July 2006 - 10:27 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

OK, the mystery is solved. The SanDisk "virtual drive" is actually just a protected part of the USB drive that works like a CD drive does (it tells the computer to run the drive like a CD drive (and enables the Autorun function). I've got 2 of these drives (but have disabled the U3 stuff on them). While it's not strictly necessary to have this for using the drive, it's much easier than trying to make it work without it! Instructions on this at the end of the post.

FWIW - my C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory doesn't have a copy of this file either. And a search of both of my hard drives doesn't show a copy there either.

So, I'd have to suggest that you visit the SanDisk site and download the appropriate drivers and U3 drivers for your device. Here's a link for the different models: http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DriverDownloads.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autorun USB Flash Drive instructions:
1) Open Notepad and save the following code as autorun.inf onto the USB drive
[autorun]
open=backup.bat
ACTION = Backup Personal Files
pause
open=launch.bat
ACTION = Launch Portable Apps
Notice that there's 2 ACTION's - one is to my personal backup.bat file that I use to backup the drive when it's inserted. The "open" command tells the system what the filename is, while the ACTION command gives a nice description of this action (this will show up in the autorun window)

Here's the contents of backup.bat:
xcopy *.* c:\usb\*.* /d /y
xcopy PortableFirefox\*.* c:\usb\PortableFirefox\*.* /d /e /y
xcopy PortableThunderbird\*.* c:\usb\PortableThunderbird\*.* /d /e /y
xcopy c:\usb\MicrosoftMail\*.* MicrosoftMail\*.* /d /e /y
pause

2) So open Notepad, enter the code above and save it as backup.bat to the flash drive

The other is the option to launch the portable apps that I use on the flash drive (but this option doesn't show up in the autorun window - I'm still working on that!). I suspect that the autorun.inf file might be limited to only one "Action".

Here's the contents of launch.bat:
start portableapps\portablefirefox.exe
start portableapps\portablethunderbird.exe
start portableapps\portableopenoffice.exe

3) So, open Notepad, paste the code above into it and save it as launch.bat on the flash drive.

BTW - Microsoft Mail isn't in the second one because it's not a portable app - but I want to save/backup my emails so it's included in backup.bat

I hope that this helps you out!

Edited by usasma, 24 July 2006 - 10:23 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users