Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to Use Combo-Fix on my Windows 8 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

Got a message that it doesn't work on "this sytem".    It says it works on Windows 8 which is what i have.   It says Windows 2000 is no longer supported.    I did not update to Windows 10 so what's up?????

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 November 2015 - 11:42 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:11 AM

1. DO NOT use combofix without supervision from one of the experienced people in the MRL area here.

You run the risk of "bricking" your computer.

2.Open Control Panel, and check for the Operating System on your pc

3. Why did you feel you needed to resort to combo fix...??...what is happening with your pc...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Confirm if your system is Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

System requirements for ComboFix are provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit)

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix.
If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 2000 it should provide a message alert and exit. These are generic messages and intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on an unsupported Windows version.

W2k_not_supported.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Confirm if your system is Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

System requirements for ComboFix are provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit)

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix.
If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 2000 it should provide a message alert and exit. These are generic messages and intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on an unsupported Windows version.

W2k_not_supported.png

I must have 8.1 64-bit then because it says it won't work.  The weird thing is that I used Combo-Fix on this computer a couple months ago and I have the report it generated as proof but whatever.

Edited by JayJax, 13 November 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:37 PM

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

If you choose to follow the above instructions and post a FRST log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one. If not, at least you know doing that is an option available to you.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Open a run box.....type in   winver     hit enter

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

I didn't note the OP edited his reply. No problem, it doesn't hurt to verify the OS version.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

Open a run box.....type in   winver     hit enter

Thanks it appears Windows 8.1 is what I have - I think whatever slim grasp I had on technology has long ago been eclipsed by a disastrous headlong rush into an incurable "terminal chaos" !  I think it must be all downhill from here.  

I confess I didn't know there was an "8" and an "8.1"

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

I didn't note the OP edited his reply. No problem, it doesn't hurt to verify the OS version.

Not only doesn't it hurt but it helps if the OP is not an idiot! :orange:   Mea culpa!

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Now that we know the OS.....follow quietman7's instructions in THIS POST

Whatever you were trying to eradicate with combofix with best be tended to there.

....and dont feel bad about not knowing....we all have the same instant of discovery somewhere along the line......mine was "what the hell is an XP"....(i still cringe when i think of it)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Just so you know...Windows 8.1 was released about a year after Windows 8 due to Microsoft receiving numerous customer complaints.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle for Windows 8

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up - what confuses me though is unless I've got early onset dementia I have used Combo Fix on this computer.   I've had several little "quirky" problems before that Combo Fix "fixed".  Since I can't use Combo Fix anymore I started a thread in hardware about a mouse scroll hangup problem but have been redirected here not sure why because I don't think its a virus problem.   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596386/mouse-scrolling-issues/#entry3864415

Currently my mouse seems to be functioning okay - like I said its a periodic problem.  WHAT TO DO?

I thought (RISKY PROCEDURE?) malware did not come in mouse form.

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Just so you know...Windows 8.1 was released about a year after Windows 8 due to Microsoft receiving numerous customer complaints.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle for Windows 8

COMPLAINTS?   I can't imagine anyone would complain about any Microsoft product!    :dance:  What IS THIS WORLD coming to?

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up - what confuses me though is unless I've got early onset dementia I have used Combo Fix on this computer.   I've had several little "quirky" problems before that Combo Fix "fixed".  Since I can't use Combo Fix anymore I started a thread in hardware about a mouse scroll hangup problem but have been redirected here not sure why because I don't think its a virus problem.   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596386/mouse-scrolling-issues/#entry3864415

Currently my mouse seems to be functioning okay - like I said its a periodic problem.  WHAT TO DO?  I didn't want to turn this into a whole big thing?  Since the problem comes and goes I figured against the Malware factor?

I thought (RISKY PROCEDURE - I know) malware did not come in mouse form.

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

....what confuses me though is unless I've got early onset dementia I have used Combo Fix on this computer.   I've had several little "quirky" problems before that Combo Fix "fixed"...

As has been noted, ComboFix works on Windows 8. However, after that version is upgraded to 8.1 (which appears happened at some point on your system), the tool no longer will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users