Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2010 Publisher crashes after installing various updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klatooo

klatooo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

This morning around 3 am windows update instaled various office updates.  The publisher file i was working on will not work, i open it and then it crashes.  So i tried to do a restore to previous to get rid of those updates and see what happens and i get the error that the restone did not complete.  Now if i open a previous file publisher works.  So i am puzzled what has happened? Why i cannot restore and how to fix publisher. I have a SSD i don't know if that means anything with restoring.  Did anyone else have issues with this lastest batch of updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rick@Pearce

Rick@Pearce

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

We're seeing the same thing here at work. Publisher 2010 crashes shortly after opening an exisitng file. If I create a new file from a blank, it seems to be stable. System Restore fails also, so we can't go back, at least on the machine this was first noticed on yesterday. The application event logs show ntdll.dll as the crashing program, but there could be another cause. That file was changed in the latest updates from a Sept timestamp to and Oct one. As a real estate company, our office admins use Publisher a lot for flyers, etc., so this has to get fixed very soon.

#3 klatooo

klatooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear of your issues. But good to know i am not the only one. i was looking into this dll issue and i see i could reverse this download but not sure if i will. I don't know how long it will take microsoft to correct this issue. If i could post this problem somewhere else to get microsoft attention i would. All our computers that did the updates have the issue.

#4 Rick@Pearce

Rick@Pearce

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Klatoo, it is good to know an issue isn't just yours. It seems MS updates have put a bug in Outlook also, I have some users reporting Outlook crashes when clicking on links in an email, or the link isn't followed. I'll post any updates I get.

#5 Rick@Pearce

Rick@Pearce

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

MS has reissued KB3097877 today. After installing it on 3 machines that had the issue, all 3 are back to normal - Publisher does not crash just opening an existing Pub file. Just go into Windows Update and check for updates, KB3097877 should be the one Critical Update. Install and reboot and Publisher, and Outlook, should be back to a more stable existance.

Here's a decent thread on this whole mess:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/482486ba-a378-4dcd-bd21-08ae19760b93/crashes-since-111115-updates-in-both-outlook-2010-and-2013-when-viewing-html-emails

#6 klatooo

klatooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Rick, will give it a try. Good to hear it helped you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users