Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get correct standoffs and screws for Antec Sonata II tower?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 villandra

villandra

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

How do I get the correct size screws for an Antec Sonata II case?

(ca 2006, but I didn't have any trouble identifying the case, finding a manual, etc.)

Neither the Antec web site, nor the user manual, give specifications for the standoffs and the screws.

Thanks!

Yours,

Dora Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:13 AM

You could try contacting Antec for your specific parts for your case.

Facebook Contact

https://www.facebook.com/AntecInc/?sk=app_684336108254110

Store Antec Contact Us

http://store.antec.com/contact-us

#3 villandra

villandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Guess what.  I DID.   I submitted a ticket.  No reply.  I phoned them.   I waited in position 2 in queue for 12 minutes - they aren't even making any effort to answer their phones.  I even posted comments to Twitter and Facebook about their not answering their phones

Now.  How about answering the question I asked with the answer.

What are the specifications of the standoffs and the motherboard screws for the Antec Sonata II?

Or is that information top secret?

Trust me, when I get ahold of that information, it will be all over the web, because it has been far too hard to come by!

Should have just been in the user manual for that case.  If Antec's customer service were so vaunted, that's where that information would be!

Edited by villandra, 12 November 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#4 villandra

villandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Would the standoffs and motherboard screws for this case happen to correspond to the following?  

Tell you what.  I'm ordering them from Newegg tonight.  If one size or the other fits I'll let you all know - and then Antec's secret will be out of the bag!  

They should have answered the phones. 

Motherboard standoff
220px-Toennchen_IMGP5029_wp.jpg

Various types of motherboard standoffs

Most cases use threaded brass standoffs (Jack Screw Standoffs) for attaching the motherboard to the case chassis. Sometimes threaded or snap-lock plastic standoffs are used, which are less secure, but equally useful in a stationary computer. The standoff provides a margin of space between the motherboard and the case to keep the multiple solder points below from grounding and short-circuiting.

Usually the standoff has a 6-32 male thread on one end which screws into a threaded hole in the case or motherboard backplate, and a 6-32 female thread in the other end which accepts a screw to retain the motherboard. Less often, the standoff has a female thread in both ends and a second screw is used to attach it to the case. Some standoffs use the M3 female thread (which faces the motherboard) instead of 6-32, and on a rare occasion a mixture of types can be used in the same case.

Version 2.1 of the ATX specification states that the length of standoffs needs to be at least 0.25 inches (6.4 mm), with their cross sections fitting within 0.40 by 0.40 inches (10 mm × 10 mm) square areas centered around each mounting hole on ATX motherboards.[4]

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

If you have the measurements, try JAMECO ELECTRONICS.  They offer a wide selection of mounting hardware.

#6 avtar78

avtar78

• Banned Spammer
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

Hmmm, I wouldn't call this an upgrade, more like your building a Whole New System..... :bounce:

#7 villandra

villandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Did someone just call replacing the CPU cooler building a whole new system?  !!!!!!  

Whatever.   I can definitely see why the frog is jumping up and down.

#8 villandra

villandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I answered several ends of my problem.

My original problem was toofold; standoffs lost and screws worn and stripped, and the mother board bowing over the bracket securin my new CPU cooler to the mother board.   It was formerly attached with plastic fasteners and they had weakened, requiring regplacment with something that can actually be trusted not ot come loose and cook the CPU.

I looked into just buying a new case.  Store manager said he'd never heard of this problem.  

I took the thing apart to take the standoffs in with me to deal with it.   First thing I noticed, when I measured them, is they aren't no 6.5 mm or 1/4 inch. 

Here is the ATX standard for motherboard standoffs, in effect since Version 2.1 in June of 2002.  My Antec Sonata II was manufactured in 2006, according to the date in the case.  

Version 2.1 of the ATX specification states that the length of standoffs needs to be at least 0.25 inches (6.4 mm), with their cross sections fitting within 0.40 by 0.40 inches (10 mm × 10 mm) square areas centered around each mounting hole on ATX motherboards.[4]

ATX Specification  Version 2.1 June 2002.

3.4.2 Secondary (Bottom/Solder) Side Height Constraints
Required secondary (bottom) side motherboard height constraints for all areas (A-C, as shown in Figure 7)
are defined as follows (measured from the bottom planar surface of the motherboard PCB):
• ≤0.010” – Mounting hole standoff areas – no components. Restriction applies within 0.400” square
area centered on each required mounting hole location defined in Section 3.2. Nominal allowance is
provided only to accommodate slight reflow solder excess.
• ≤0.098” – All board circuit components (including leads) that are electrically conductive and intolerant
of direct connection to chassis ground (e.g., through-hole leads, surface mount resistors)
• ≤0.120” – Board components that are non-conductive or otherwise tolerant of direct connection to
chassis ground (e.g., connector guide/stake pins)
• ≤0.200” – Devices attached to the motherboard for the sole purpose of structural retention or stiffening
A chassis and its related elements (e.g., stiffening ribs, base pan, structural supports fasteners, etc.) must
allow 0.250” clearance to the bottom planar surface of the motherboard PCB. This does not including
mounting hole standoffs, which may extend to and contact the PCB at the mounting holes within the
prescribed 0.400”-square areas.

The standoffs I took out of my case, which are the ones that came with the case, are 5.5 mm.   The clearance my CPU bracket needs measures at exactly 6.5 mm - the minimum standard.

Antec sold me a case with standoffs that don't meet the ATX standard.   

This is why they won't tell anyone what the specifications are of their standoffs! 

It's also too consistent with their poor customer service. 

Anyone stating that Antec has good customer service is also probably insisting that Ben Carson is "a very softspoken man", on which topic don't even get me started.  It's a true wonder in how today's upper middle class brain works; I now feel like I understand the ever so well mannered upper middle class people who say and write these wonders, and I've been waiting half a lifetime to achieve that. 

When shopping for cases, I noticed that, rather than being distinguished by quality, the Antec cases are ACTUALLY distinguished by low price.  My guess is they are made in China and don't meet any actual specifications.  The buyer just gets whatever he or she happens to get. 

For the next person who wants to know what the standoff specs are, I don't fully have the answer, but Frys sells only two replacement standoffs in store.   There is Computer Screw Kt by Link Depot, storage box included, and some other ones that looked identical as far as size and thread.  Both screwed into the case.   The ones in the computer screw kit also fit the screws provided.  Both are described as #4-40.

My guess is they're the 6/32 that most standoffs are, and they measure at 6.5 mm or 1/4 inch.   The kit contained four sets of screws, one of which was M3.  Exactly one set of screws fit the OTHER set of standoffs, so those must take M3 screws.  Probably the ones in the kit take 6/32 screws, but then again, it might be "#4-40" screws.  

The idiot from Antec told me that all Antec cases use the same standoffs.   For whatever what the idiot told me is worth.  On Antec's web site they sell two sets of screws and standoffs for two specific cases, and neither has the same price as the kit he quoted me a price for, which is said not to be listed on the site.  

I have the replacements in my case now; bowing gone, and the 1 mm difference hasn't prevented me from being able to plug my dual monitor setup plugs into the video card.  

Edited by villandra, 14 November 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

When I build my own units, or those for others, I used nylon standoffs and screws.  Some points, usually identified in the MOBO manual, need a ground, and a metal post is okay.  I use a small, short braided strap across the nylon to provide the ground.  Too many units I've serviced that were home built suffered from various faults caused by grounds where it shouldn't be.  Some also had no symptoms until they got warm and then shorted the PS.  Large unsupported spaces on MOBO design can lead to warping and other shorts.  Some CPU/cooler assemblies are critical in design and proper lock-down directions to prevent placement over traces on the board. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users