Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you replace port forwarding with triggering?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

I got a new monoprice router, but it oddly didn't come with any port forwarding, only triggering. I've only ever  forwarded and thought it would have the same result.

Here's a screenshot of the configuration I though was going to work.    http://i.imgur.com/GGp4AoZ.png

I never need to forward ports for anything anymore, so... If I have to, I'll just put the raspberry pi in the dmz.

Any help would be appreciated ^-^

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Port triggering is the same as forwarding except you don't have to set a static IP address on your host, so to answer your question.... Yes, same result with less hassle.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

I don't know what I'd be doing wrong then :\ . I have it set as you see in the screenshot. However, I can't access my mumble server or even ssh into it. The minute it put it into the dmz, i can access it.

Do you see any issue with how I have it set?

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

Here's the difference pointers out of my networking rule book

• Port triggering can be used by any computer on your network, although only one computer can use it at a time.
  • Port forwarding is configured for a single computer on your network.
  • Port triggering does not need to know the computer's IP address in advance. The IP address is captured automatically.
  • Port forwarding requires that you specify the computer's IP address during configuration, and the IP address must never change.
  • Port triggering requires specific outbound traffic to open the inbound ports, and the triggered ports are closed after a period of no activity.
  • Port forwarding is always active and does not need to be triggered.

What other options are you seeing in the dropdown for the protocols? Is SSH in there? Is there an "All" option?

Edited by TsVk!, 11 November 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

That's all as I suspected. However, I'm just lost at this point. From my perspective I see nothing being done incorrectly to just let the mumble server run.

Oh well, I'll just keep it in the dmz and report back if I really ever need to get it working for something else :P

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Okay, for sure... I only know the theory, as I only use port forwarding, but I can't see an issue with your setup either. (unless of course the router isn't getting the trigger it is expecting? maybe it is a more product specific setting that requires research?).

Good luck :busy:

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

SSH is strictly TCP so remove that UDP. It's pointless to trigger port 22. If you connect outbound to a server then it opens. If you setup a SSH Server inbound traffic is going to hit a brick wall as the port 22 is not forwarded it's triggered. If you setup a SSH Server then it would be wise to generate 2048bit keypair, no password, no root login and change it's port to something more obscure like 2222 in the servers conf file. Just saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users