Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-Adjacent Free Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hey guys, I need some partitioning help if you could.

Basically, this is my drive partitions...

[---Reserved---]  [---C:\Local Disk---]  [---Linux File System---]  [---Linux---]  [---Unallocated Space---]

I need that Unallocated Space to go all to my Local Disk. I've searched on Google quite a bit and found programs like Aomei and MiniTool that supposedly do this but I can't get them to work, even with tutorials.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:27 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup, Imaging, Disk Management - Hamluis.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

I would do this with a bootable disk so all operations are outside of windows. Use the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso on a Windows 7 or 8 computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. I would strongly reccommend you create a complete disk image first using something like Macrium or Aoemi Backupper using the bootable WinPE disk you can create. 

After you boot Partition Wizard move the Linux partition to the far right. Click on the Linux Partition in Partition Wizard and select Resize/Move. Left click on the Partition bar and drag to the right until it stops. 

Do the same for the Linux File System Partition. Drag it to to right until it stops and is adjacent to the Linux File System Partition. This will give you unallocated space between the Local Disk Partition and the Linux File System.

Click on the Local Disk Partition and select Resize/Move. Left click the right arrow of the partition bar and drag it to the right until it stops which will put it adjacent to the Linux File System partition. 

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do not complete until you click Apply. This lets you back out of any step.

After doing the partition movement you may need to repair the Grub Bootloader if this is a dual boot system.

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

The software is not allowing me to move the Linux partition. The rest I can move and resize but not that one...

I'm trying in both Windows and Linux. NOTHING. Irate right now. I'm thinking I should remove my Linux dual boot completely then just reinstall after. Rather not reinstall my Windows though.

Screenshot_2015_11_11_21_32_42.png

Edited by Slim Nelson, 11 November 2015 - 09:37 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

I am not sure why that is. The bootable version is based on linux. I would then use a Gparted Live CD. All steps are virtual just as Partition Wizard is but you need to select the drive you are working on in the dropdown box in the upper right of the window.

Here is a good tutorial on it's use. The operation will be the same as in my previous post and you can move the partition bar by left clicking and dragging.All steps are virtual until you select Apply. If Gparted does not work then I would post this question in the Linux Forum and reference this thread.  There also a number of youtube videos on it's use.

When you say the linux partition cannot be moved, this is the partition next to unallocated space, correct? Another thing, is the linux partition listed as logical? It may be part of an extended partition than included the Linux System Partition. Gparted should see the Extended Partition. Click the Extended partition that includes both the Linux System Partition and the logical Linux Partition.

In the below image you can see that partition sda2 is extended that includes the logical partitons of sda5, sda6, and sda7. When you start Gparted see if you have an extended partition. Click the extended partition and see if you can move it which would include your Linux System Partition and Linux Partition. I have never done this so I am not sure it will work.

gparted-check-repair.jpg

Edit: I see you do indeed have an extended partition. Boot Gparted Live CD and select your disk in the dropdown box. Click on your extended partition and see if you can move it which includes your Linux System, and Swap.

Edit Edit: If you do decide to reinstall linux you do not need to delete your Windows partition. When you reinstall linux it should see your Windows partition and create the Grub Bootloader again. If you can't boot you can use a Boot Repair CD that will automatically repair Grub.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 November 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#5 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Edit: I see you do indeed have an extended partition. Boot Gparted Live CD and select your disk in the dropdown box. Click on your extended partition and see if you can move it which includes your Linux System, and Swap.

Edit Edit: If you do decide to reinstall linux you do not need to delete your Windows partition. When you reinstall linux it should see your Windows partition and create the Grub Bootloader again. If you can't boot you can use a Boot Repair CD that will automatically repair Grub.

Yeah, I tried making the edits to my last post and include the picture in time for you to see them when you replied.

GParted is actually my goto partitioning tool for linux, I just screenshotted from the disks screen because it shows the extended partition better. I appreciate your help but like you guessed in your second edit, I decided to just reinstall Linux. It was pi$$ing me off royally... And yep, I kept my Windows while doing the Linux reinstall. It actually didn't notice my Windows OS though, just the existing distro on my drive. I chose the install option to erase and reinstall then rebuilt the grub bootloader afterwards, the install didn't do it automatically.

After the reinstall, it left the unallocated space next to my C drive partition so I was able to extend it now. God this was a headache though. I don't know why it wouldn't let me resize my Linux Swap partition...

Oh and I almost forgot, yes, the Linux partitions are listed as logical.

Hulk_Tag.png

#6 jackmiller506

jackmiller506

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

I found out the detailed tutorial of MiniTool partition wizard to show you how to allocate the space to your local disk.just few clicks and within seconds.im sure you will get it

1.open minitool partition wizard.find your "local disk C:".and right-click it .you will see an option "extend partition" as same as the pic below

extend-partition.jpg

2.select take space from unallocated and click ok

extend-partition-1.jpg

3.click apply on the top left.well .its all done!!!

extend-partition-2.jpg

Also.here is the video tutorial if you need:  http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/extend-partition.html

#7 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

This thread should be moved to the Linux forum....I'm surprised the mods didn't catch this.   :flamethrower:  :luke:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

This thread should be moved to the Linux forum....I'm surprised the mods didn't catch this.   :flamethrower:  :luke:

Perhaps this is because the moderators recognized that the op is dual booting, so this is in the correct forum for Windows 7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

Yeah, I should've posted this in the Linux forum. That was my mistake.

Hulk_Tag.png

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

[---Reserved---]  [---C:\Local Disk---]  [---Linux File System---]  [---Linux---]  [---Unallocated Space---]

I need that Unallocated Space to go all to my Local Disk.

Your local disk is where the Windows 7 operating system is located.  You wish to add the unallocated space to the C: drive.

I would most definitely say that this topic belongs in the Windows Forums. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Okay.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users