Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LiveUSB With Persistence

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

Do you guys Update and Upgrade your LiveUSB's with Persistence?

Was also wondering about "home-rw" but don't understand it's function if one is already using a "casper-rw"

Edited by pcpunk, 11 November 2015 - 05:44 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

Beloved pcpunk, you don't have to do that.  Just do a regular install of the distro, but specify an external drive or stick.  There's no 'rw' or 'casper' partition to worry about, and you get FULL persistence to the full capacity of the drive or stick, as Linux is 'tricked' into thinking it's installing on an internal drive, even when not.

That's how I do all my distros, just the regular install program to external drives or sticks. Suggest you do it on a 60GB or bigger empty drive.  You might have to set aside 100-400MB as mbr first.  Format that using GParted.  If you want, make your other partitions (home, swap).  Then unplug, reboot (so to clean out memory of the external being previously used), and then do the install.  It should work.  I don't like doing it that way, but rather let the system do its own formatting.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

This Thread is for Persistence, I have done Full Installs and still have them.  The whole point is to be able to use on multiple computers with very different hardware, and, for experience, and-lol - might use this method running LiveDVDs because my pc is no good for Virtual Machines .  Thanks for the input though.

Would also make it easier to let noobs try out linux.  If I have this with me, which I always do, can boot it up on another's pc, and can be used to test and customize on my pc.

Would be nice to do a full install though! if it would run on many other pc's without issue.  Right now I got Mint Xfce on a Full Install for my windows 7 machine, but that machine is running AMD stuff and don't want to risk damaging it running on my Intel based pc, or anyone elses.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 November 2015 - 03:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

The only time this is really useful is with puppy linux, Running a full distro from CD or USB is slow.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

It is faster than VM's on my machine, more functional, and more convenient than a Disk.  I might rethink this though, because it is very slow to Boot, but okay once it is running.  I mean the Persistence install, it is slower than the regular LiveUSB Install to Boot.  Would also like to learn some Speed Tweaks to help this situation, 185 processes running all the time is unnecessary for this little experiment, not to mention the boot processes that are being used.  Wish I could manipulate my own iso to meet my needs, this way I could play around with this some more.  Just need a new pc, that's all.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

The only time this is really useful is with puppy linux, Running a full distro from CD or USB is slow.

Yes I need to get me a TahrPup installed again.  My last one had issue with the sound so deleted it in favor of a re-install.  

If I create another TahrPup on USB, will it be useful on different pc's like a live session DVD?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

Wish I could manipulate my own iso to meet my needs, this way I could play around with this some more.

I used to use a tool called Remastersys as it was much easier than extracting and editing manually. The tool is discontinued though. Wiz was using something similar to create his TimNet ISO. The ISO didn't have install abilities, but it did boot and run as a live-DVD. I'm not sure what program he used, or what it's limitations are, but just thought I'd mention it.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Thanks HF, I have looked into it throughout the time I have been with linux, but this is way over my head.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

PuppyLinux: Remastering

LiveCDCustomization - Community Help Wiki

How to Remaster Ubuntu to Get a Customised Distribution ...

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

Thanks Nick, I am looking into (again) Disabling Startup apps in my Liveusb's for now.  I also just installed Abiword and Preload and they work quite well, fast!

Any Sartup Processes advice?  Always been hesitant on stopping any of these.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

Interesting Kali site on Persistence:

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux/usb-multiple-persistent-stores/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Okay, lemme try again.  I ONLY run Linux from external drives BECAUSE I have so many machines.  This is what you're after pcpunk, right?  The distros, when installed the first time on external drive (not stick) will at boot, look at the sound card and monitor, etc.  But then it STORES that information somewhere.  Then I plug it into some other machine, same thing.  Then I go back to some machine later, it's much faster, because it has full PERSISTENCE and 'remembers' having been in that machine before.

Boot times are thus faster after it's been plugged into all the machines I use it with.  As for operation, the 2.0 sticks run slow, the external drives run as fast as internal, and the 3.0 sticks are in between.  I've tested this using PCLinuxOS (a very fat distro), Linux Mint (not so fat), Fedora (semi-fat).  I haven't yet tried Puppy, which is not really the same thing, as it stores 'something' on the internal drive, according to the instructions I read.

By contrast, I've used LiLi, unetbootin, and LiveUSB in various versions.  They are all dysfunctional.  I finally got unetbootin to configure a Linux Mint 13 stick, and for its persistence, GParted shows it using a casper-rw partition that borks often, or I keep getting this message about 'cow' not being found; but I only was able to get that full persistence, through a tweak someone at linuxmint forums showed me.  So I don't use it.  BTW, the normal persistence is limited to 4 GB.  That's way too small.  Why no one is fixing it, I 've no idea.

But it doesn't matter.  Full installs to external drives work just as fast as to internal, though I can't talk about an SSD or even SD comparison, haven't tested that.

Edited by brainout, 18 November 2015 - 10:14 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Okay, lemme try again.  I ONLY run Linux from external drives BECAUSE I have so many machines.  This is what you're after pcpunk, right?  The distros, when installed the first time on external drive (not stick) will at boot, look at the sound card and monitor, etc.  But then it STORES that information somewhere.  Then I plug it into some other machine, same thing.  Then I go back to some machine later, it's much faster, because it has full PERSISTENCE and 'remembers' having been in that machine before.  This is contrary to what I have read and been told but I will try it, hopefully it is the same on a Full Install USB and won't damage my install on that USB.  Don't be frustrated as the Title is what it is, "LiveUSB with Persistence", and am exploring the capabilities of Persistence.  I have very limited resources and like to have some distro's to help people out with but cannot run VM's on my pc.

Is this the same across AMD and Intel?

By contrast, I've used LiLi, unetbootin, and LiveUSB in various versions.  They are all dysfunctional.  I finally got unetbootin to configure a Linux Mint 13 stick, and for its persistence, GParted shows it using a casper-rw partition that borks often, or I keep getting this message about 'cow' not being found; but I only was able to get that full persistence, through a tweak someone at linuxmint forums showed me.  So I don't use it.  BTW, the normal persistence is limited to 4 GB.  That's way too small.  Why no one is fixing it, I 've no idea.  Well for the sake of debate, they are not all dysfunctional, they are an alternative to LiveDVD.  There is no fix for the 4GB other than making a partition for persistence like I have done, then go with as much as you need.  I have made many liveusb's with unetbootin, lili, uui etc., and they all worked find.  I am using Full Persistence with my current Ubuntu Mate and it works perfectly with about 13GB of persistence.  

Maybe your problem with Mint13 was about Medibuntu Repository's?  Where you aware of that?

"At the time of release, Linux Mint 13 was designed to use the Medibuntu software repository. This repository was discontinued since and is no longer active.

You will therefore get warning and error messages complaining about it when installing software or updating packages.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions:"

It's clear that you don't like this idea, and I agree that it is not optimal, but it is still a decent tool to have for some things.  The Kali guys use it for good reasons, reasons that you don't need probably.  I figured I could also boot this from someone else s pc without harm, and I don't know that to be true with a Full Install, and use to Install if needed. 

Edited by pcpunk, 18 November 2015 - 10:42 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:42 AM

I don't have AMD that I know of, so cannot report on that. If you are happy with what you've done, well then I'm happy for you.  Sorry, but from the article Title it sounded like you were having problems with persistence.

No, I didn't use the MediaBuntu repository, didn't even hear about it until your post below.  And yes, I absolutely detest Lili, LiveUSB, and especially unetbootin because those buggy installers cost me about a year of my life.  And still aren't fixed.  Maybe for people real familiar with formatting and the commandline, they can be made to work well. But for someone newly coming to Linux from Windows, those three things are DISASTERS.  I won't back down from that claim.  The point of those things is to install Linux and to make it simple for newbies.  They don't do either, very well.  I want my year back.  Nor am I the only one complaining.  It's so bad now, that even Clonezilla recommends against using unetbootin.  So that's why I sound so.. angry.  It's not directed at you.  It's directed at the lack of documentation showing the superiority of simply installing Linux using the regular installer, but to an external drive.  For then the machine it's plugged into, is NEVER affected, which is what you say below, you wanted.

Yet, if you're getting what you want anyway, then no disaster for you.  Then, for you I'm happy.  Truly. :welcome:

Okay, lemme try again.  I ONLY run Linux from external drives BECAUSE I have so many machines.  This is what you're after pcpunk, right?  The distros, when installed the first time on external drive (not stick) will at boot, look at the sound card and monitor, etc.  But then it STORES that information somewhere.  Then I plug it into some other machine, same thing.  Then I go back to some machine later, it's much faster, because it has full PERSISTENCE and 'remembers' having been in that machine before.  This is contrary to what I have read and been told but I will try it, hopefully it is the same on a Full Install USB and won't damage my install on that USB.  Don't be frustrated as the Title is what it is, "LiveUSB with Persistence", and am exploring the capabilities of Persistence.  I have very limited resources and like to have some distro's to help people out with but cannot run VM's on my pc.

Is this the same across AMD and Intel?

By contrast, I've used LiLi, unetbootin, and LiveUSB in various versions.  They are all dysfunctional.  I finally got unetbootin to configure a Linux Mint 13 stick, and for its persistence, GParted shows it using a casper-rw partition that borks often, or I keep getting this message about 'cow' not being found; but I only was able to get that full persistence, through a tweak someone at linuxmint forums showed me.  So I don't use it.  BTW, the normal persistence is limited to 4 GB.  That's way too small.  Why no one is fixing it, I 've no idea.  Well for the sake of debate, they are not all dysfunctional, they are an alternative to LiveDVD.  There is no fix for the 4GB other than making a partition for persistence like I have done, then go with as much as you need.  I have made many liveusb's with unetbootin, lili, uui etc., and they all worked find.  I am using Full Persistence with my current Ubuntu Mate and it works perfectly with about 13GB of persistence.  

Maybe your problem with Mint13 was about Medibuntu Repository's?  Where you aware of that?

"At the time of release, Linux Mint 13 was designed to use the Medibuntu software repository. This repository was discontinued since and is no longer active.

You will therefore get warning and error messages complaining about it when installing software or updating packages.

To solve the issue simply remove the Medibuntu repositories by following these instructions:"

It's clear that you don't like this idea, and I agree that it is not optimal, but it is still a decent tool to have for some things.  The Kali guys use it for good reasons, reasons that you don't need probably.  I figured I could also boot this from someone else s pc without harm, and I don't know that to be true with a Full Install, and use to Install if needed. 

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

@brainout: No worries mate, I welcome all opinions and even heated arguments if they can stay civil.  Yes, I was having issues with Persistence, and that is why I posted and PM'ed some here.  I understand the lack of interest, it is not a hot topic, but for some noobs it might be good.  There are always new to linux wanting to use these installers, usually without the Persistence, but some with.  I can say now that it works fine...but there could be issues down the road as it is really a temporary tool at least for me.  I read about issues when Upgrading packages, so have not done that yet.  Again one good reason for me was to TEST things for others.  This particular one is Mate that one of my customers uses.  If a mistake is made no big deal, just reformat. 

You lost a year of your life due to LiveUSB Installers LOL, well that's to bad, and I understand the frustration.  Linux Documentation is really horrible sometimes, it is really a Power user OS for some things outside of the basic.  

Again, I'd done many Full Installs to External.  And again, I have never had one go bad.  This is normally just a tool for folks that don't have a DVD Reader Burner, no DVD's etc.  Many like the idea of the USB way for some reason, portability etc.  It's as simple as Formatting to Fat32 and running the installer.  UUI will even Format all at the same time, 10min and all done! not even a download needed.

Some, and even many USB's are not bootable, so that could have been an issue for you also.  Just don't discount a tool that you might be able to use one day.  Sometimes if one revisits a tool that failed at first another try helps but only if the tool is needed. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users