Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log-In problems after recent update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryan1979

ryan1979

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

Performed an automatic update about 2 days ago and when I had come back home, everything booted fine as usual, however, whenever clicking on any user profile (I have 3; 2 admins and 1 basic profile without a password), the screen goes black for half a second and instead of being prompted to input my password, I'm still at the screen of user profiles. This happens when I try clicking any of them.

I've already tried:
- booting with last known good configuration
- memory check (no problems detected)
- system restore via "repair your computer" option

None of these actions solved the problem.

Furthermore, the problem still occurs even in Safe Mode. I click any profile and I'm still sent back to the same screen. So there is absolutely no way (that I know of at this point) for me to actually log in any profile and perform any further action no matter what mode I'm in. Startup repair also does not detect any problems.

I've gone through pages of search engine results and have not found any problems similar to mine. Most people usually get some "user profile error" message or are stuck on a black screen. I'm only sent back to the list of user profiles when clicking on any of them even in safe mode. I am completely baffled at this point and would like to know if anyone else has encountered and resolved this kind of problem before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dvk01

dvk01

• Malware Response Team
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/kb3097877-causing-severe-difficulties-for-some-windows-7-users-november-2015-windows-updates/

#3 ryan1979

ryan1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hi dvk01. Thanks for this info.

However, when inputting the line in cmd.exe to uninstall the update, I get the following message:

"Error: 2

Unable to access the image.
Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder."

#4 ryan1979

ryan1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

Disregard my previous post. It turns out the update was on another drive and not the default C: drive. So far I have finally reached the password input screen and can now access my desktop.

Thanks again for the info and I hope others who have similar problems will find this useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users