Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assistance leaving a domain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Treys

Treys

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

Hello,

I believe that this is the correct place to post this, but if it is not - I am sorry. We are currently in the process of moving our office and decided to do away with our Windows 2003 server and just operate without a server or domain. I'll first explain our current setup.

We are currently setup with a server and we all log in to the same domain. Our internet connection goes through our Comcast modem and then through a Netgear switch and each cable leads time our computers, printers etc. For the past few years, we have only been using our server as a host for some accounting software, but we have moved on to different methods for that so we decided that we want each computer to operate on its own vs. on a server.

So currently on this computer I am on, I am signed on as "DomainName\DomainAccountName". When I go to my C drive and go to the users folder, my computer has created a user account for my domain account that I've logged into for the past few years, and all files are saved here locally. However, my concern is that when I leave the domain, will I still be able to log in to this account? I don't think it is a local account. My main goal here is to be able to leave the domain and still log into this exact account with no issues.

My next question is about printers. If we are not on a domain together, but are all connected to the same Netgear switch - can we share printers?

Lastly (although I am nearly sure I'll end up having more questions), is there anything else that you can think of that I should be concered about? We honestly have not been using this server besides a means of being connected.. we do not share a single file on the server. The server was an extremely basic configuration.

Thank you very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

first step is to set your local administrator accounts password so you can logon under that account.  Failing to do this and you will be in great difficulty.

2nd step is to create a new local account and be able to logon to it.

then join a workgroup to remove yourself from the domain.

as admin copy the contents of the domain accounts folder to your new user folder.

you are done.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

After leaving the domain, you will not be able to login to the "Same" account. You can recreate the user account after leaving the domain, however you will need to backup and copy all your settings and documents from the user folder. Before dis-joining the domain. Backup the domain User folder by logging on as another user (such as the domain admin or a newly created local user) and adding .old to the folder name (moving the folder could take a LONG time depending on your temporary and chache files in the user account). 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users