Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Critical Update 3097877 Crashes Devices with Outlook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

There are several articles on this newly appearing today.  Crosses all versions of Windows still supported, and apparently Outlook 2010 and 2013, though I don't know if others are involved.  The Update in question is 3097877, which you can read about here.  It's supposed to be a 'critical' update correcting some flaw that occurs when HTML language is used in an email, hence the connection to Outlook.

Reddit report is the most detailed and varied, here.  Lots of specific data there, search also on 'touchscreen', as its failure might be linked only to devices with touchscreens.

Notebook Review's report is just a started ticket, here.  The least informative article (but with new comments every few minutes on the Outlook problem), is here.

Most of the reports say that Windows balks or BSoD's, or merely Outlook does that.  So I'm not sure if my posting this is in the right place.  Please move it to the right place, if you prefer.  Thank you for your time!

Edited by brainout, 11 November 2015 - 12:36 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

PATCH FIXED maybe, but has same KB number, Woody Leonhard article here.  See the comments, because at least one Win7 user didn't find the new version fixing the problem and had to uninstall it, too.

Apparently the bad version yesterday, also borks Xonar drivers, so maybe read the article if you have had that problem, too: especially, in the comments here.

Edited by brainout, 12 November 2015 - 08:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Crosses all versions of Windows still supported

Just to clarify, note according to Woody this problem did not affect Windows 10 users. And according to Woody in his link in your last post, Redmond says the patch was only for W7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, but Woody says,

It looks like the patch was only re-released for Windows 7, not for any of the other Windows versions.

Hopefully, more information will come.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Script for removal if you dont want to use RDP

@ECHO OFF
TITLE KB3097877 Uninstaller
cls
ECHO *************************************************************
ECHO This will check for KB3097877                               *
ECHO Script by Johny  Jammer                                     *
ECHO *************************************************************
    SET /p target=What is the name of the Target computer:
ECHO Getting KB3097877 info
wmic /node:%target% qfe where hotfixid="KB3097877" get /all
pause
choice /c yn /m "Continue with uninstall?"
if %errorlevel% equ 2 GOTO end
ECHO Now uninstalling KB3097877
    wmic /node:%target% process call create "powershell wusa /uninstall /kb:3097877 /quiet /norestart"
ping -n 100 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
ECHO Checking for removall
wmic /node:%target% qfe get hotfixid | find /i "KB3097877"
ECHO Done.......................................
:end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users