Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternatives to Specific Win10 Apps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

I doubt that there is anyone who unequivocally loves everything about any operating system they use, and that's certainly true for me.

Windows 10 has some pluses and minuses on the apps front, and I'm sure some of us would like to use alternatives (and those alternatives are probably more like what we were used to in Windows 7 or earlier).

As an example, I am really not wild about the Win10 Photos app.  It is painfully slow to open up when I double click on a photo and that's the main reason I don't like it.  I'm also not wild about the whole look and feel.

I would love to use something that has a look and feel that's more akin to the old Windows picture preview feature which was simple, clean, and very fast when all I wanted to do was to take a quick run through a group of pictures in a folder (or even just get a closer look at one).  Proposals, anyone?

Perhaps this thread can serve as a repository for alternatives people have found to specific Win10 Apps that they don't like and for which they've found alternatives that are more to their liking.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

I think that IrfanView is the most popular alternative to Windows 10 Photos and Windows Picture Viewer.

http://www.irfanview.com/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Aura,

Thanks.  I already have Irfanview installed and may start using it as my primary photo app.  I also hadn't realized, until I did a bit of digging I should have done before posting, that good old Windows Picture Viewer was carried over to Win10.

I still hope that this thread might serve as a launching point for people to offer their favorite alternatives to various Windows built-in apps.  Most of my favorite non-MS apps/applications were learned about by someone else talking about their liking them much better than the built-ins.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

I think the Photo Viewer is identical to the one in Win 7 (except for the ribbon interface). I set it as the default, but can get there by going to This PC/ Pictures. I certainly share your dislike of the Photo App.

Edit. Oops. You already found it. ~g~

Edited by leithanne, 11 November 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

I don't think I ever used Windows 8/8.1 apps for my stuff, I always used the programs I used since like Windows XP and Windows 7. VLC, iTunes (I have an iPod Touch otherwise I would use another music player), etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Well, I am like you, Aura.   For all practical intents and purposes I went straight from Win7 to Win10 from a functional viewpoint.   My partner has a touchscreen laptop with Win8.1, so I'm aware [very aware - he's not technically inclined] of the Win8.1 apps but I don't use his laptop nor those apps.

The laptop I'm typing on came to me with Win8.1 installed but I did a Win10 upgrade within a few hours of its arrival.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Post #5, true for me too.I've never used any of the "apps" on windows 8/8.1, I uninstalled almost all the preinstalled apps within days of setting the machines up, and haven't downloaded any apps since, when I need to do something I use good old exe file programs. And yes, a lot of the programs running on my windows 8.1 systems today are identical to I used on XP, some of them are even the same version.

In windows 8/8.1 atleast all the preinstalled microsoft apps (their calculator app...) have program equivalents buried on C:\ somewhere in a subfolder of a subfolder. I suspect the same might be the case on 10, that there might be a calculator program somewhere in system32 as well as the calculator app...and so on for other apps.

Edited by rp88, 11 November 2015 - 12:47 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

ckH3prq.png

I loved the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 8, and used it anytime I needed to view a picture. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've starting using XNview 2.32 Extended, which I was able to re-configure to get it's appearance how I wanted. Screenshot above is how it looks when I double-click on a picture to open it in XNview.

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

I had the Windows 10 photo viewer and then magically, I got the Windows Photo viewer

I didnt like the W-10 viewer very much because it seemed limited

The Windows viewer, practically the same as the Windows XP viewer

W-10 has a black background and doesn't have the same features as the Windows viewer which is blue and gives more options

IDK if I always had both versions, or if I got the old style version in an update? but I also got a viewer with Acer which I never use

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

I would like to find a better PDF viewer than the app supplied.  I can not install or run Acrobat view at all on here. everytime I have tried about 3/4 thru I blue screen or the PC just shuts down.  Trying to print from the app viewer for me is a major pain and a multi page document will quit printing at the second page.  Doesn't seem to like the Kodak 3250 all-in-one at all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

dannyboy950,

I can strongly endorse Tracker Software's PDF XChange Viewer.

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

@dannyboy950

I use SumatraPDF. Works great, and it's light-weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users