Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Ram The Cuplrit?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SRed13

SRed13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have a lot of information to contribute, and I think you'll like me; But I have a problem. And I decree that it makes no sense whatsoever.

So, you know the normal advice, "ADD MORE RAM", which is the response for every computer woe? Well it didn't really help me.

I have a Dell Latitude X200 Laptop, its slim, and has a good battery life, I like it. WinXP Professional. But it only had 121 Megs of Onboard Ram. And it was SLOWWW. So I Bought an Plextor or something like that 144-pin 512 MB for it. (I checked and double checked, it is the appropriate type of ram) installation took litrally two minutes (I was grounded; not in the not permitted to leave the house sense, but in the no static electricity sense) and it booted, I went into BIOS, selected to recognize new hardware or RAM and saved and rebooted. It went perfectly, instantly recognized the ram, no problems. So I get into Windows and after about 10 minutes, the screen...blinks, like if I switched to CRT mode from the LCD. Then everything froze, BSOD with ialmdt5.sys (something like that) as the culprit. So I reboot into safe mode, and Windows OSA states that I have an outdated Display (Intel Mobile Graphics Driver version 8311.4 or something) driver.

So I go and download the new one from Dell. It Reboots. All clear for a few minutes. BSOD. This time it sites "Sysaudio.sys". So i try and update that driver. reboot. Now it loads but there little grey sphere in the system tray (the volume button) is missing. And it no longer detects my Firewire CD-R drive.

OMG. I used System Restore to go back to the Restore Point I set just before installing the Ram, back in those halcyon days. It boots but then after I plug in my USB mouse it BSOD's this time citing the Synaptics Touchpad being outdated. I update...reboot, and after the WinXP loading screen it BSOD's saying "Windows attempted to read CURRENTUSER\WINDOWS\SOFTWARE and the hive was not accesible, missing, or corrupt, Contact Systems Administrator."

For no good reason, I rebooted, and it worked for a few minutes, only to crap out again with the same display thing I thought I'd fixed. What would you all recommend? Keep in mind, prior to the ram, I had no problem with anything on the Laptop, the usb mouse worked, the Dual Monitor worker, the Display worked, the sound and firewire all worked. I have no idea how ram, which was recognized, could lead to this. Help me.

-Stephen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

Sounds like a registry problem.
I would do a repair install.
or full install.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 SRed13

SRed13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

What exactly would be a repair install, or full install? Are you meaning just to reinstall windows with the new ram already on there, therby the system registry would--ala Linux--be compiled at that level of ram and all?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

SRed13: Take the memory out to see if you still have a problem. If the problems disappear, then there is something wrong with the new memory.

If you want further proof, you could also run a memory test. See this link for a good memory tester - http://www.memtest86.com/
Also, Dells typically come with a diagnostic CD that you can check all hardware components of your computer, including the memory.

Good-Luck.
JC

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

I'd go with:
1) Testing the memory with MemTest86
2) Pulling the new memory out and putting the old back it - then see if the problem is still there - if so, you've ruled out the memory from being a part of the problem, if not, then it's a bad stick (yes, sh*t happens!) and you should contact whoever sold it to you for your money back (or a replacement. FWIW - I only buy RAM using the configurator at http://www.crucial.com , they guarantee it!
3) Presuming that the memory test and the memory swap don't show the memory as being at fault - then go ahead with a repair install of XP. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
As I recall, Dell's come with a Windows CD that you can do this with. If not, post back and someone will find a link for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users