Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Edge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hi all,

I upgraded a HP desktop from the factory-installed 8.1 to 10 about two months ago.  I seldom use that computer, but from what I have discovered so far is that everything seems to work quite well with the exception of Edge.  In fact, nothing about Edge seems to function properly.  Here are my issues:

Regardless of what settings I choose on the Edge home page (top sites and suggested content, top sites, or a blank page), Edge always open to a blank page.  I have researched that issue for days and nothing solves the problem.

When I attempt to clear my browsing data, I always receive the message “all data could not be cleared - try again”.

Absolutely no files can be downloaded using Edge.  Downloads start and then abort.  IE11 works properly.

Unfortunately I waited too long to revert back to 8.1, so now I am stuck with 10.  Well, not exactly stuck because I do have an 8.1 image on an external drive I could restore.  Still, I rather like 10 and would prefer to keep using it.  So, am I facing a clean install of 10, or are there some other possibilities? 

As always, thanks for your help. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

You can always do a Reset install from Recovery, but even if you use the "keep my files" option you'll still have every app and application program you installed removed as part of that.

You could also try running an sfc /scannow to see if any system file corruption is found and corrected.

I don't use Edge with any real regularity and installed Firefox and Chrome because I like both much better than IE or Edge.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

Edge just seems like a failed experiment sometimes, while I feel its better then IE in many respects Microsofts attempt at making a modern browser does seem like more of a joke then a serious competitor to Chrome and Firefox.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Edge just seems like a failed experiment sometimes, while I feel its better then IE in many respects Microsofts attempt at making a modern browser does seem like more of a joke then a serious competitor to Chrome and Firefox.

I think it works great. I do have Chrome installed for one bank account for which Edge can't open the monthly statement. I have used Chrome and absolutely prefer Edge. I am not a very demanding or sophisticated user so maybe I do not ask enough from Edge to see its warts.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

Artbuc,

Chacun à son goût.

Since Edge has no capability for plug-ins, and particularly an ad blocker plugin, I simply don't use it.  I haven't used any web browser without a very robust ad blocking plug-in in a very, very long time.  Edge is considered a Microsoft Service covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement if you set a home page and for the data collected to give you "most frequently used" click options on a new tabs page.   Not that I think that Microsoft cares what those are, but I'm generally avoiding using any of the Microsoft Services, which is pretty easy overall since I never used them in earlier versions of Windows.

If Edge matures some I may eventually give it a try again, but for the moment I'll stick with Firefox and Chrome, both of which have Adblock Plus installed (among other add-ons/plug-ins).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

Thanks guys,

I did run sfc/scannow prior to my post, but no errors were found.  I also attempted numerous fixes from other users experiencing my exact problems (which seem to be many), but no change.

I tend to agree with you guys that Edge appears to be a failed experiment.  I guess I will stick with IE11.  It’s not that I really want to use Edge, but I just like to have a fully functional OS.  When things don’t work as they should it drives me crazy.

Thanks again.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

I have yet to see a major OS release, and particularly from Microsoft, that doesn't include a number of bugs that really shouldn't have ever made it out, but did.

In the Linux forums there are comments that this happens with certain Linux distros, too.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys,

I did run sfc/scannow prior to my post, but no errors were found.  I also attempted numerous fixes from other users experiencing my exact problems (which seem to be many), but no change.

I tend to agree with you guys that Edge appears to be a failed experiment.  I guess I will stick with IE11.  It’s not that I really want to use Edge, but I just like to have a fully functional OS.  When things don’t work as they should it drives me crazy.

Thanks again.

You still may want to consider other browsers, its unknown if IE will continue to get support for much longer as its Microsofts job to force their products down your throat.

Really the only thing IE is good at is attracting advertisements.

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 November 2015 - 05:30 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

Try this to fix Edge:

1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

Here's a link on how to reset Edge completely:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fdda0835-0050-4fc3-a823-692b8c4a3f4d/microsoft-edge-reset-the-default-settings?forum=win10itprogeneral

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

Thanks usasma,

I tried that fix also, but no change.  It’s strange because Edge does work correctly (in general).  It loads, I can browse to any page, and it does not lock-up or stall.  It just will not display top sites, and it will not download any files.  I can live without top sites, but not being able to download is a deal breaker.

Thanks again.  :thumbup2:

#11 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

So far Edge seems OK to me but nothing special. Then, I have not used it much yet. I use Chrome largely because I have a Chromecast  and because I have installed quite a lot of extensions which I like, although they probably contribute to the 'clunkiness' of the browser. However, almost by accident I have ended up with Maxthon as my default. It attracts little attention so far, yet I think it is quite impressive. Maxthon has plenty of extensions / plug-ins including New Tab Plus (first encountered in Chrome), recently introduced its own Store,has a helpful way of dealing with downloads, has AdBlock Plus, has a number of distinctive features; and is fast. I would like to see what others think of Maxthon.

#12 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

I think it works great. I do have Chrome installed for one bank account for which Edge can't open the monthly statement. I have used Chrome and absolutely prefer Edge. I am not a very demanding or sophisticated user so maybe I do not ask enough from Edge to see its warts.

>>>Like!<<<

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#13 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hi MM;

I too have a recently upgraded Sony laptop, upgraded from Win7-->W10.  I have none of the problems with Edge you mentioned.  I just tried it and not only do I not have a blank page, I was able to change it to a predefined page; MSN.com, but also with a custom page.  I also was able to download a PDF manual for my desktop from the Dell support download page, and it worked perfectly.  I suspect you have a bigger problem with your W10 upgrade. 

You might take a look at this post, as it covers some typical erratic behavior including error codes on W10 systems that were recently upgraded: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596189/cant-install-windows-10-error-code-80004005/

The fact that you aren't receiving an error code doesn't bely the fact that you are getting abnormal behavior with the Edge browser, that I don't get on my system which appears to be working perfectly. 

The main thing we see here with upgraded systems are that when they are not running perfectly, and have no virus/malware infections, or any kind of hardware failures, we see smooth upgrades.  Since you've tried some of the suggestions here without success, I might suggest you have a failing piece of hardware or general Windows system file corruption.  Before you go off and try more software solutions, you should consider testing your hardware first, as no software on the planet can fix broken hardware. 

Here's a link to help you with both: http://windowsforum.com/threads/cursor-cannot-reach-top-of-quick-launch-area.214710/#post-654289

As Windows8.1 systems are getting to be 3 yrs. old or so, it's not unlikely that you could have a failed or failing hard drive.  Hard drives in desktops begin failing after 3 yrs. old, and laptops, 1-2 yrs. depending on how many times they are dropped or used as frisbees-take your pick. 

And like you said, you have other browsers to do your daily tasks, but if you are really annoyed you can follow some of the above tips and try to correct the problem (it is correctable) if you're willing to do the necessary troubleshooting and possible reinstallation or failed hardware replacement required.  Alternatively, you can consider contributing to the economy by taking your desktop into your local repair shop and paying them to fix this problem for you!! 

Best of luck and let us know how it works out,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 12 November 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:27 AM

Did you do the reset thing also?

Before I start asking for reports and such, please try this free program to see if it can fix some of your issues:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-for-windows-10

Also try this:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Edited by usasma, 13 November 2015 - 05:29 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for your help guys.  Please see my most current post:  :thumbup2:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596194/clean-install-question/?p=3863044

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users