Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading normally to Windows 10 w/o using Windows 10 Insider

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit desktop

I had signed up for the Windows 10 insider back in Aug but never got into it and uninstalled pertinent KB’s

However I wish to upgrade to Windows now and I’m hoping I can upgrade via the standard upgrade procedure by allowing the uninstalled KB’s to be reinstalled

Since I had signed up for Windows 10 Insider back in Aug is that a factor on what I want to do?

The reason I prefer the normal upgrade procedure is so I get the experience of doing it that way.

I volunteer at our senior citizens center and many of them are inquiring about the free Windows 10 upgrade

So if I do so on my computer I’ll be able to see the hands on procedures that should help me on their computers because I’ll know what to expect

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

I've done a Windows 10 "upgrade in place" via the reservation process and using a disc created via the Media Creation Tool and the differences in the process are utterly insignificant.

Were I you I would simply create a Win10 upgrade disk via the Media Creation Tool and choose the "Upgrade this PC now" option.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

"Were I you I would simply create a Win10 upgrade disk via the Media Creation Tool and choose the "Upgrade this PC now" option."

Actually I just did that in case I decide to use that option

But what came across in my mind is that if my computer doesn't qualify for the upgrade at this time due to some incompatibility issue, will the "Upgrade this PC now" option notify me?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

I don't know whether there is a compatibility checker built in to the Media Tool version of the upgrade, but I suspect there is.

There are ongoing issues with some hardware that passes the "Check this PC" tests for the "reserved copy" process mostly related to device drivers.

If your hardware vendor hasn't stated that a given machine is Win10 upgrade tested/ready then you end up being on your own as far as what you decide to do anyway.  It can pass the MS checks but still potentially have issues.

This is why it's critical to take a full system backup, including a system image, before upgrading to Win10.  That way if you want to go back, but the built-in rollback process fails, you can still use the recovery tools in Windows 10 to reload your system image to go back.  (That or use your Microsoft System Repair Disc to boot from and use its recovery feature with the backup you made).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Brian. I'm a system image backup person and I use Macrium Reflect.

Your comments also reminded me I can go to the HP website and I believe it can determine whether my computer can upgrade to Windows 10 ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users