Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'sample' Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blupp75

blupp75

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

I have this problem when I'm either in 'Safe Mode' or when I've used 'msconfig' to go into diagnostic mode. When I try to log out Windows says there is a program called 'Sample' which is not responding. If I tell it to just go ahead and log out anyway, it does. Oddly enough, if I look at the running processes using the Task Manager (or Itty Bitty Process Manager) there is no 'Sample' process running.

Also, I have found in the Windows log, an entry with event-Id 1517 for every time this happens (I copied the description from eventid.net, since mine is in Swedish):

"Windows saved user <user name> registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

After some Googling I found a MS tool called 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service' which apparently can be used for these issues by terminating 'left-over' applications at log-out (or something like that). The reason I haven't tried it yet is that the name 'Sample' sounds kind of fishy to me so I suspect it might be something more malicious than an ordinary program not finishing up as it's supposed to.

I have tried searching my computer for executable sample.* files, but found nothing. I have run AVG Free, Panda Online Scan, Housecall, Adaware, Spybot, CWshredder and ewido.

Help!

Regards,

Per

Update: Ok, I found it. Intel's PROSet is to blame. I uninstalled it which got rid of the problem in "Safe Mode". When I installed the newest version instead, the problem was back, so it's not exactly solved but at least it does not seem malicious. Can I do something to get rid of the "Not responding..." messages in "Safe Mode"?

Edited by blupp75, 22 July 2006 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

sample.exe = Troj/Lootbot-B backdoor Trojan.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/s....exe-12644.html

Free removal tool available for download from Symantec here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 blupp75

blupp75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

Ran the symantec tool, no Nimda.

Don't you think it is the Intel PROSet util?

/Per

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

No Nimda. That's good so we can eliminate it from being the cause. I know you said you uninstalled the program and it got rid of the message but I wanted to be sure we were not dealing with malware. I did not find anything on Intel's site so I did some research and found that a file related to Intel’s ProSET utilities could be responsible for causing "Not Responding" messages.

The problem is that, in some PCs, ZCFGSVC can be incredibly badly behaved : taking up to 100% of CPU time and therefore resulting in an extremely slow PC, preventing the installation of software or Windows updates, or causing “Not Responding” or “End this Program” shutdown problems.

You can read some of the recommendations provided under the file named Zcfgsvc.

I also found some Troubleshooting tips here.

If neither of those links help, then you may want to try Intel's Customer Support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Lungfixer

Lungfixer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

I also was receiving the same problem with "End Program Sample - Not Responding" errors each time I shut down my Toshiba laptop. I knew it had to be a driver error because it was a fresh OS install and started right after driver installation.

Sure enough...it was the Zero Config MFC Application in Intel's ProSET utilities that was causing the problem. According to the information I found, this is NOT a necessary file for ProSet to connect to wireless internet. First, I renamed the ZCFGSVC.EXE file to ZCFGSVC.EXE.OLD, but that did not fix. So I finally removed the entire registry key associated with this file and...Voilà, no more error message.

Havent tried connecting wirelessly yet, but that would be the lesser of two evils since I dont use wireless internet very much anyway.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lungfixer, 09 March 2010 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users