Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Update MSE Or Spybot, Low Disk Space, Other Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 MFC1982

MFC1982

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:34 AM

I have a feeling that the Windows 7 desktop computer in my living room is acting all wonky.  I've tried updating Microsoft Security Essentials & Spybot & they won't work.  Some web pages look all out of whack.  I keep getting a message saying "Low Disk Space" on my computer.  Also, after I turn on my computer, there's a "temporary page file" message that keeps showing up.  I don't know if this is a virus that's causing all this or whatnot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi MFC1982 :)

My name is Aura and I'll be assisting you with your issue. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List IP Configuration;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      B8oLpa3.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

I'm trying to run MiniToolBox, but it keeps saying that it is "not a valid Win32 application".

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Disable MSE and Spybot, then download MiniToolBox again and run it. A software is preventing it from running, most likely a security one.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

I don't have Live Protection for Spybot, so I had to turn off the real time protection for MSE.  I'm still getting that same "not a valid Win32 application" message though.  Also, sometimes when I try to download the MiniToolBox, it won't let me.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

Can you boot in Safe Mode with Networking, then download and run MiniToolBox from there?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows7

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:42 PM

I can't get MiniToolBox to download from Safe Mode with Networking either.

BTW, you have been a great help, Aura, but I need someone who works from midnight-6 AM to help me out here because that's when I'm usually on & I'm more than likely not on at the same time as you.  I apologize if I sound impatient.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

No problem, I understand :) Then let's hope someone who is awake during this time can pick up your thread and help you!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

Aura, I might be up for a little bit longer.  As I said before, I can't get MiniToolBox to download from Safe Mode with Networking either.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:36 AM

Which web browser are you using to download MiniToolBox? Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.? Can you try to download it in another web browser? Also, can you download it from the link below instead (which is my Dropbox)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zlgusl7r8usj6m/MiniToolBox.exe?dl=0

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

Aura (or anyone else), I've been using Internet Explorer to try to download MiniToolBox.  I've also tried it on Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox & it won't let me download MiniToolBox there either.  Also, I can't download MiniToolBox from the Dropbox link.  I'm getting frustrated here.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

By "can't download", do you mean that when you execute it you still get the error message about the Win32 Application, or do you get an error while downloading it? If so, what is the error message?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

No, I'm getting an error while downloading it.  I think it says that there's not enough disk space, even though I'm sure I have plenty of disk space.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Run the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool first, then try to download and execute it. Make sure to clean up system files as well with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 MFC1982

MFC1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:29 AM

Aura, I just did the Windows Disk Cleanup & cleaned up the system files.  I went to try to download MiniToolBox...& it still won't let me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users