Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen goes black, hard drive stops, have to reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gregk49

gregk49

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

Last week installed new XFX R9 280X video card.

New RAM, 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600 MHz DDR3 PC3 non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP.

New power supply, Ultra X4 Special Edition, 750w 80 Plus Bronze M.

Ever since, a random crash of the computer with the monitor going to black (still powered, but in standby), no mouse or keyboard will work,

a buzz in the speakers, and the hard drive stops, tho all fans keep running.

The only thing I can do is do a hard shut-down (hold the on/off for 7-8 seconds), then power it back up.

Can you help?

gregk49

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Most often I see this with video problems (but it could be any of the new components).
Start be unplugging the system and holding onto the case (to bleed off any static electricity)

Then carefully remove the video card, clean out it's slot, and then carefully reseat it.

Ensure that any additional plugs/power is/are firmly seated.  When you turn it on, check to make sure the fan is working.

Beyond that:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 glare

glare

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

ss

#4 gregk49

gregk49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

Glare:

What does ss mean?

same s**t  ???

(meaning, you have the same problem?)

#5 gregk49

gregk49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

Step 1: I could not attach the file to this post, so I uploaded it to a file-hosting site. The link is https://mega.nz/#!Ch4n1ISa!tw7KYd4vNs4TFPYT7dyXUcc2b85bFcd6DxCwO35HNoM

I'll start step 2 right away.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

While the shutdowns in the Admin logfile don't seem to relate to any particular events, there are a significant number of AMD video errors in the Admin logfile.

1)  This may be a hardware issue as there are no repeated events related to the shutdowns (and presumably the freezes).

2)  If this isn't hardware, then you'll have to remove the video drivers and install a freshly downloaded set.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users