Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JustBrowsing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

Has anyone besides myself tried JustBrowsing? http://sourceforge.net/projects/justbrowsing/

Its a live lightweight Arch based distro, and whats nice about it is that not only does it not save anything but its unable to see the HD/SSD so its impossible for it to save anything. But unfortunately it hasn't had an update since February.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

I tried it after someone (might have been you) mentioned it in the General Security forum.

its unable to see the HD/SSD

All drives that are not required by the operating system are left unmounted by default in Linux anyway. It's just that JustBrowsing doesn't come with any way (such as a file manager or terminal) to mount drives. Although you can use the browsers to access its own file system to an extent by typing
file:///
into the address bar.

I still prefer my Puppy CD, and the only time I ever save anything to it is after updating it.

Edited by Al1000, 11 November 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:48 AM

I still prefer my Puppy CD, and the only time I ever save anything to it is after updating it.

Me too.  I use it for online banking and shopping.

I also have a " Fully loaded " Puppy installed on a old 20 GiB HDD in my desktop see my PC specs, And I find my self using puppy more and more.

My I5 laptop with 4GiB of ram runs on Tahr Pup only.  at this rate I will never wear out my PC's lol.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

Me too.  I use it for online banking and shopping.

I also have a " Fully loaded " Puppy installed on a old 20 GiB HDD in my desktop see my PC specs, And I find my self using puppy more and more.

My I5 laptop with 4GiB of ram runs on Tahr Pup only.  at this rate I will never wear out my PC's lol.

I loaded up puppy just the other day for changing banking passwords and etc. Had my one credit card stolen some how... its weird though cause I barely use that one... only have one recurring charge on it for one of the TV show sites.

Never tried "just browsing" but may check it out. I do like puppy's interface though. I might try it out on my Lenovo Y580 as it has turned into a "play" laptop since I got my Sager.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

Online banking and shopping is what I mostly use Puppy for as well, and always from the CD. But I like that it can do other things too, rather than just browse the internet.

For novice users though, running as root in Puppy presents a potential danger to all data on their computer. Whereas as far as I can see, it is not possible to even mount a file system using JustBrowsing.

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

For novice users though, running as root in Puppy presents a potential danger to all data on their computer. Whereas as far as I can see, it is not possible to even mount a file system using JustBrowsing.

Thats exactly why I like Justbrowsing. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users