Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADWCleaner accidentally removed important folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grynfindore

grynfindore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

Hi, can someone please help me to recover my important folder ?

This morning, I accidentally clicked on a malware email and got my computer contracted with some malware.

I tried ADWCleaner to clean out the files in Registry. But unknowingly, it removed completely one of a very important work file in my computer.

I tried to re-install ADWCleaner again and tried to Quanrantine but nothing happened.

Please help me to restore the work file. It is very important and I am freaking out right now.

How can I post the txt file so you can help me ?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

After confirming a file is legitimate, it can be safely restored from quarantine. The AdwCleaner folder contains sub-folders for Backup and Quarantine. Each of these folders contain sub-folders of the exact location (full path) an entry (file/folder) was removed from so they can be safely restored.

If you already clicked the Clean button and then confirm a file is legitimate, it can be safely restored from quarantine and added to the exclusion or ignore list.

adwcleaner-quar-list.jpg

If you removed (uninstalled) AdwCleaner, all sub-folders including those for Backup and Quarantine will have been deleted and there will be no way to retrieve anything that had been placed in those folders even if you reinstall AdwCleaner. You can attempt recovery by using a third-party data recovery tool but there is no guarantee doing that will be successful.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 grynfindore

grynfindore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

Thank you for your reply.

After restarting the computer, the ADWCleaner is not there anymore so I had to manually reinstall ADWCleaner. Then I clicked on Tool - Quanrantine Manager and I searched for the folder I wanted to restore and I clicked restore but nothing happened or nothing went back to the file. The file went back to Disk C but that's it, no content found inside.

Does it mean it really has been deleted ?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

As I noted above, if you removed (uninstalled) AdwCleaner, all sub-folders including those for Backup and Quarantine will have been deleted and there will be no way to retrieve anything that had been placed in those folders even if you reinstall AdwCleaner.

What you can try is to attempt recovery by using a third-party data recovery tool but there is no guarantee doing that will be successful. Another option is to restore the file from a backup if you routinely backup your data to another location, drive, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users