Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom PC moving extremely slow for no real reason.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Downstairs in the living room is the family pc that everyone else in the house uses.  It's pretty high end and the fastest in the house.  Now, when using it recently, the internet moved to a crawl and sometimes not even connecting to whatever site you wanted it to go.  It behaved like that out dated pc you just wanted to chuck in the trash?  I couldn't even uninstall or reinstall programs because that was lagging too.  I have no idea whats wrong with it.  I ran spybot and a few other software to no help.

I gave up and did a system restore.  And it worked.  Only problem was I couldn't create desktop icons?  Which is what I was going to ask about in this post.  Except, the whole computer is now moving to a crawl again.  It doesn't make since, it's a gaming rig really.  

What should I do?  Back up everything and reformat?  What could the problem be?

•  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hello hello_from_ny,
Spybot- Not recommended. I would run a malwarebytes scan and an adwcleaner scan.
Are there any other systems?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

Hi Captain Chicken,

May I ask, why would Spybot not be recommended?  When I scan nothing comes up.  I haven't installed anything on the pc recently either.  So, I find this really strange.  Could it be a hardware problem?  I dunno.  It;s a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.  It's a gaming rig really but something put the brakes on this thing.  Everything is in slow motion.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

Sorry for the late response.  Because the computer is always needed, I reformatted the whole pc.  I tried downloading mini toolbox but the whole system went to a screeching halt.  After the reformat, the computer is fast again.

I spent a day reformatting everything but I save programs on to the desktop.  There are two folders that refuse to be deleted?  I used unlocker and that couldn't remove the folders on restart?  How can I get rid of those two folders?  Another error code was that the folders cannot be found?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

What are the folders called? Where are they located?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:02 AM

Having worked for a large computer company before as a hardware/software phone tech, I would like to suggest:

If the family computer is at least one if not two or more years old, very carefully and gently:

-- unplug mouse, keyboard, and other any external devices

-- remove chassis, unplug internal HD, internal CD-DVD readers/writers

-- reSeat memory, cabling, etc. one item at a time, so that you do not accidentally miss-match something

-- clean out dust, !follow Hamlius or dc3 advice concerning what type of product and procedure is best for this!

-- after you have carefully put everything back together:  if UEFI or BIOS has USB booting before HD, make sure any nonBooting usb flash drive is not plugged in and staying plugged into any of the usb ports

I'm thinking this computer being in the family room, in the flow of family members and pets movements, may also need an inside-cleaning.

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2015 - 05:30 PM.
Removed unnecessary, useless comment - Hamluis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hi Captain Chicken,

May I ask, why would Spybot not be recommended?  When I scan nothing comes up.  I haven't installed anything on the pc recently either.  So, I find this really strange.  Could it be a hardware problem?  I dunno.  It;s a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.  It's a gaming rig really but something put the brakes on this thing.  Everything is in slow motion.

I agree.  Why is Spybot not recommended?  I've been using it for years.  

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

If you are referring to Spybot Search & Destroy you need to understand that at one time this was a good program.  But it has not kept up with changes in the industry and is no longer an effective tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

@Hello_from_ny

Let's run a few scans and see what if anything turns up.  The scans I'm going to ask you to run cannot be run in the Windows forums, so I will request to have this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum where these tools can be used.  If nothing is found you can have this topic moved back to the Windows 7 forum.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

malwarerun_zps9abd4ef1.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

5)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

================

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

================

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2015 - 03:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users