Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am not able to change my default search

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

I am on google chrome and when i go on there and try to do a general search, it doesn't search through google chrome.  It searches through a thing called http://go.mail.ru/.  When I try to change the search engine, it says it is under http://firstsputik.ru and when  I try to click on another search engine, it says that it has to be done by an administrator, but I am the only user on this computer and I am the administrator.  I tried to uninstall and reinistall google chrome and it did not work.  I deleted all programs or whatever that went with this and it still won't let me search under a normal google search.  I also tried to reboot my computer to the last significant update to delete anything else that has been added since the last update and that didn't help either.  I am about to rip my hair out.  Please help!!!!  

Oh, I did a malware scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it deleted a bunch of stuff, but I am still not able to change my default search engine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

First go into plug ins and remove any thing there that looks like those.

How to
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

I am so sorry, but I'm a nube.  The two that look weird to me are:

Widevine Content Decryption Module Version: 1.4.8.824
Enables Widevine licenses for playback of HTML audio/video content. (version: 1.4.8.824)
Name: Widevine Content Decryption Module
Description: Enables Widevine licenses for playback of HTML audio/video content. (version: 1.4.8.824)
Version: 1.4.8.824
Location: C:\Users\June Kim\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM\1.4.8.824\_platform_specific\win_x86\widevinecdmadapter.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
  Disable
MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions application/x-ppapi-widevine-cdm Widevine Content Decryption Module

AND 

Native Client
Name: Native Client
Version:  
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\46.0.2490.80\internal-nacl-plugin
Type: PPAPI (in-process)
  Disable
MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions application/x-nacl Native Client Executable . application/x-pnacl Portable Native Client Executable .
Disable  Always allowed to run

The other two are adobe, which I am assuming is ok, and chrome PDF viewer.  Do I disable the two that are listed above?

#4 ComputerTechWannaBe

ComputerTechWannaBe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

Leave both of those. Native Client and Widevine are part of the chrome system plugins.

1. Download Chrome's Cleanup Toolhttps://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/

2. Run, scan, and let it do it's thing. Wait until it finishes.

3. If that doesn't work, clear all browsing data from Chrome (Settings, Advanced Settings, Browsing History, Clear All Browsing History, make sure you put it to "Beginning of time")

4. If you are still getting the problem, run an Adwcleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

5. Open Adwcleaner, make sure all programs and browsers and windows are closed, click "Scan", wait until it has completed scanning

6. When it is done, click "Cleaning" to clean everything it has detected, then click "OK" to any windows that pop-up afterwards, your computer will restart to clean everything

Let us know what happens during this process if you so wish to take my two cents (:

> Leighton 

Edited by ComputerTechWannaBe, 10 November 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

@ nicole....BC does NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners......ever.

This is NOT the solution to your problem.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

Combo fix is for use by, and under supervision from,  trained Professionals ONLY

You risk "bricking' your PC ....leave it ALONE.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#7 ComputerTechWannaBe

ComputerTechWannaBe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Combo fix is for use by, and under supervision from,  trained Professionals ONLY

You risk "bricking' your PC ....leave it ALONE.

Good call, Condobloke, would of gotten real messy, my bad, I wasn't thinking it completely through! (; Thank you for the warning

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

ComputerTechWannaBe, I hope you have seen the edit I made to your first post in this topic.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

On the latest version of Google Chrome, click on the Customize and control Google Chrome button > Settings. Click on Advanced Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, until you reached the "Reset browser settings" section.

Click on Reset browser settings.

#10 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Condobloke - I already did the reset browsing thing too

#11 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

Oh, and it's only in google chrome.  I don't have this problem in mozilla or IE.  I even tried to uninstall and reinstall google chrome and I'm still having this problem

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.
NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Edited by Condobloke, 10 November 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

sorry for the untimely edits there Nicole....my editor went pear shaped yesterday and I am struggling to get my "speeches" back in order !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users