Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't load at startup.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pops1

pops1

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Had been using my computer yesterday and finished my task, put computer to sleep and returned about 5 hrs later to enter some more info but it would not start.  It kept giving me a " returning to power saving mode".  Tried several times, turning off and back on but to no avail, same message.  When clicking on monitor buttons, it gave me a "no signal from your computer, returning to power saving mode".

It is a Dell Inspiron 560 with Windows Home.  It is on a home network and other computers were working fine.  Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

I know this is a long-shot, can you try an external monitor via VGA port?  If this is not a software problem, we can attempt to pinpoint either a built-in video display problem or an internal video graphic card problem.  To rule in or rule out software -- what happens in Safe Mode?  Or, even before that, can you get into and see UEFI or BIOS screen?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 pops1

pops1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Turned it on this morning and after a couple of trys, it loaded Windows fine. Has seemed a little sluggish early on but has gotten better as the day progressed.  Looked at the Windows Update and has been 20 seperate updates today in a peroid of about 7 hrs.  It seems to be doing fine now, is quick and responsive has not missed a beat for the last couple hrs.  Hard to know but I suspicion that those updates may have had something to do with it.  So far, so good.  Thanks for the response.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Open the Control Panel and click on Power Options.

Click on High performance, then click on Change plan settings.

Under Put the computer to sleep select Never.

Edited by dc3, 11 November 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pops1

pops1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

computer is up and running but when it is first turned on it will try to boot at least three times before it will start.  Have done all of the suggested things but it seems to make no change in this behavior.  It will do any task it is called on but it seems to be a little slow doing some things the first time asked.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Windows Repair (All in One) run in Safe Mode with Networking, defaults accepted, add items 26 & 27, restart once if not twice -- might help the OS peform better.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 pops1

pops1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

Everything seems to be working fine now, have run scan and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Thanks to those who responded and thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users