Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With Connecting To Wireless, Missing Network Controller

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 psychobunnii

psychobunnii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hello, I have a Dell Studio 1537 running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. I recently installed a fresh copy, and wireless was working fine before.
I am able to connect to Internet via ethernet cord but no luck connecting to my wireless. When I open the network & sharing center my laptop detects no devices whatsoever. When I run the diagnostic it says I need to ensure that I have the proper hardware and drivers installed. Of course I did not physically alter my laptop, so where is my wireless network adapter? I have installed all the latest Windows Vista updates, and have installed all necessary drivers from the dell website for my Studio 1537. In device manager my network controller is called Broadcom Gigabit Netlink Controller, and I have updated the driver for that as well. I have a yellow exclamation ! next to network controller. In properties it is completely unidentified regarding manufacturer, etc. I'm at a total loss on what to do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

Right click the Network Controller with the yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#3 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Device Type: Other Devices

Manufacturer: Unknown

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I have tried the reinstall driver button, it doesn't help either because it can't locate the appropriate drivers.

Also, when I powered on my PC windows detected that this device wasn't set up and automatically tried to search for the right drivers, but nothing.

"please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed"

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

You you do not get a Details tab with a Vendor and Device ID then I believe there is a hardware issue with the wireless card. If you are comfortable doing it, open the computer and make sure the wireless card is properly seated. Also make sure the antenna wires are securely attached. Remove the battery and any power source. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and touch any bare metal on the computer after removing the panel.

hardware-ids.jpg

If you are not comfortable doing the above you can download a small linux distro like Puppy linux and see if it detects your wireless device. If that fails then I would have to assume it's a hardware problem. In that case I would recommend you purchase a WIFI dongle like the following. For Puppy, you would need to download the iso file and burn it to disk using a program like Imgburn or any program that can burn an iso image to disk. Boot Puppy and at the desktop a Wireless Wizard will appear if it detects a wireless signal. If you decide to use Imgburn, make sure you opt out of any programs it offers.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

#5 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Question? Does that USB gadget you attached require dismantling anything or is it just a matter of plugging it in and installing it? I found one from that link you attached for only 12.99

Edited by psychobunnii, 10 November 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#6 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

I just don't understand why my hardware was affected when I didn't physically alter my laptop in any way, just installed a fresh copy of Vista.     :smash:

Anyways, I went into system information<components<problem devices and my network controller PNP Device ID is displayed as:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV4232&SUBSYS_13218086&REV_00\4&B04CCE1&0&00E1 

I hope this helps my situation

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

The Wifi dongle simply plugs into one of your USB ports and it's usually  plug and play. Drivers are installed automatically.

Tplink make a good one also. It's $11 on ebay. There are generic ones that are far cheaper but I don't know how they work.

Edit: I will try and find a driver for the above Vendor and Device ID.

The only Vista Driver I found is here. Click on the hard drive icon. Provide a junk email address. This driver is for 64bit. It will not work if you have 32bit Vista. Is your OS 64bit? Right click Computer > Properties.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#8 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'm actually on 32-Bit. 😕

#9 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

If I can't resolve this I will just buy a dongle. They're cheap enough! But I'd like to attempt to get it running on its own before I resort to that. Especially since it was perfectly fine before I installed the fresh copy of Vista.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Let me look for the 32bit driver. I may be a bit. Edit: there should be a service tag number on the bottom of the laptop. Can you post it?

Edit Edit:  Try this driver from Dell for the 1537

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER97494M/3/R202467.exe

Details of the above driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=F17VG&fileId=2939949039&osCode=WLH&productCode=studio-1537&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#11 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks much, I appreciate the help! I've been at this for a week!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

See my edited post. The driver should work for your computer.

Edit: Any other drivers you may need are here.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/studio-1537/drivers

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#13 psychobunnii

psychobunnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

OMG! I'm writing to you now without an ethernet cable! Thankyou so much. That worked like a charm!

I greatly appreciate your help. You've truly made my day. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

Your Welcome, 

Glad you have your wireless internet now and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users