Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crypto malware and the NSA?????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

I read a news article the other day raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

Some may have seen it about how the NSA has their own college to teach their unique skills to a unknown number of people and has done so for years.

To me the NSA is just a legalised version of the CIA just licsensed now to work within the USA.

Take an agency with almost unlimited power and resources and almost no government or public oversite.  The potential for abuse abounds.

The first thought my devieous mind came up with is what if all this Crypto crime was fund raiseing for the agencey. Unlimited manpower;resources,and access to all the main frames they might want to use.

That would put the people trying to stop them at a serieous disadvantage. Like plugging a 4 foot hole with a half inch peg.

Even if it is not a fund raiser there is nothing to stop members in the group from decideing to get rich on the peoples dime.

Now if I as dumb as I am can have this idea, how long do you think it would take that idea to take hold with all that brain power.

Overly parronoid mabe be so.  But then again!!!!!!!

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icon0clast

Icon0clast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

The first thought my devieous mind came up with is what if all this Crypto crime was fund raiseing for the agencey. Unlimited manpower;resources,and access to all the main frames they might want to use.

I highly doubt that, the NSA has all the black-budget they need, you might be interested in the book @war by Shane Harris.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Ohh it is just a possibility but then again no nosey budget oversite committee at all to worry about.

#4 Icon0clast

Icon0clast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

True but black-budget usually has little to no oversight.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

As we have seen...oversight of the executive branch has become a joke.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

It may not be the nsa it self but any graduates of their advanced cyber training would have the necessary skills to do so.

Like I said earlier these guys are not script kiddies.  If a number of them got together and decided to do this they certainly would have the skills.

#7 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Second thread in a row with OP labelling himself paranoid. :)

Being correct, this is a conspiracy theory. Personally I don't believe that it's happening because the penalty of being found out would be so high that it would never get approval.

Remember that some of the CryptoLocker victims are not even US citizens ...

Edited by palerider2, 11 November 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Neither are all members of clandestine services.  To add to that the internet is world wide. Just because something happens here it may be orchestrated and run from the other side of the world and vice versa.

Now I wish I had been smart enough to capture the link to that news article. It opened my eyes a bit and I thought I knew something about the clandestine services since I worked for one in Vietnam for 3 1/2 tours of duty, wounded 4 times and to this date into perpetuity my government will never admit I and the people I worked with were ever there.

So paranoid yes but I think justifyably so.  Clandestine services by nature operate outside the law and the rest of the government. They have no fear of the law.  Besides if these Crypyo guys are found do you really think they will just get a slap on the wrist?

Their punishment will be as sever as the law will allow.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Yes I am a bit paranoid but while trying to find that news article it seems to be delisted now.

However I did find where I am not alone apparently mistrust of the NSA and its activities abound.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/01/07/california-legislators-introduce-bill-to-banish-nsa

A simple web search for NSA training schools found a lot more interesting articles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users