Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forbes:MS Admits To Windows 10 Automatic Installs On Windows 7 And Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

No, it’s not just you. In recent weeks I’ve received a lot of emails from Windows 7 and Windows 8 users saying Windows 10 has repeatedly tried to self install on their computers. Now, after two weeks of talks with Microsoft MSFT -1.89%, the company has admitted to me that the problem is very real…

The symptoms follow two paths. For some they were using their computer as normal, were prompted for a restart due for standard updates and on reboot found the Window 10 installation was under way. For others they checked their Windows update history and found Windows 10 had tried but failed to install itself without permission over and over again.

So what’s going on? According to Microsoft the fault lies with a bug in an automatic update it began rolling out to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users in August which triggered the attempted installations. Microsoft didn’t disclose which specific update it was, but confirmed it left the error code ‘0×80240020’ (sometimes recorded as ‘080240020’) in Windows log files when upgrade attempts failed.

Article

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2015 - 02:24 PM.
Edited title to reflect source - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

Did MSFT pay us for testing or did we pay it for the stable product and/or services? :P

I don't think its just an error, but a behind the scene notorious attempt to upgrade all users to windows 10, even if the user is unwilling or the drivers' are buggy in Win10 environment.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

OH yeah.  Same thing is happening to those who merely use Windows 7 STARTER, which technically isn't eligible.  So all that initial claptrap about only selected prior OSes being eligible, and 'reserving' and orderliness were also a 'bug'.  Lots of bugs later revealed as pushes, many of them failing of course.  Come January it will be much worse.  So now the newest 'bug' is that you really need to turn off Windows Update now, and all that other claptrap about having until 2020 and 2023 (well, Win8 users only have until January) are bugs too. 

Then there are the bugs about claimed support of Win10 for the lifetime of the device, whereas MSFT has only said ever, the lifetime of the 'SUPPORT' ends with your warranty (** here).  But these bugs are in the pundit reports like Ed Bott's, not in MSFT.

Notice that in all events, the 'commitment' is off.  So it remains at MSFT discretion (i.e., yeah, updates are continuing post-warranty, but only because MSFT chooses to do so).

Edited by brainout, 10 November 2015 - 04:27 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:53 PM

brainout post#3, Do you suspect that in January ms will start trying to push windows 10 to users who have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download"? To users who haven't installed KB3035583? To users who haven't done any update that wasn't a security fix or a fix for a bug that they were suffering from since before april 2015?

Maybe that drop in the price of shares will make ms realise that the more they push the more they'll drive customers away.

Edited by rp88, 11 November 2015 - 12:53 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

Officially, Myerson said January 2016 is when 'Recommended update' will be its status.  Still, only if you have automatic updates will that matter.  Manual checking for updates you're okay but will hopefully be able to hide it.  3035583 keeps renewing itself as it keeps on being revised, so even if you hid it before, it comes back.  Same is true after applying KB 3050265, which was supposed to prevent updates like that showing on your list in the first place.  I did install 3050265 before getting any updates on this machine (and its own prior updates were September 2014!), yet 3033583 came in anyway.  I hid it.  So far no GWX, but I have updates on manual.

I don't intend to get any.  Will surf in Linux if worried, but now this machine is only used for internetting and has no important stuff on it, is backed up daily and cloned weekly.

So you can try that approach if you're nervous.  NO one can guarantee what MSFT will do next.  After the latest fiasco with an update borking Outlook, I have no trust in any of their new stuff.  Clone before updating.

As for the share price, it will fall a lot, but not right now.

brainout post#3, Do you suspect that in January ms will start trying to push windows 10 to users who have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download"? To users who haven't installed KB3035583? To users who haven't done any update that wasn't a security fix or a fix for a bug that they were suffering from since before april 2015?

Maybe that drop in the price of shares will make ms realise that the more they push the more they'll drive customers away.

Edited by brainout, 12 November 2015 - 02:57 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

Thats just plain wrong.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

:scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Thats just plain wrong.

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

I know Microsoft REALLY wants everyone to migrate to Win10, but this is not the way to go about it.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

Okay, so now that TH2 will be rammed down everyone's throats, we'll find out more of the same or whether the installer got better.  But what's killing me is that THERE IS NO OPTION TO STOP THE UPDATE FROM INSTALLING.  One of the new frankforum members (folks who mostly know me from Youtube and vimeo) just today  posted this excerpt from TechRepublic:

Quote from article, TechRepublic:

Users will still need to confirm the installation manually for it to continue. If they choose not to proceed, Korst said "the customer will have the ability to delay it for some period".

He was unable to clarify how long users would be able to  delay the upgrade for but added that people who didn't like Windows 10 would be able to roll back to their previous OS within 31 days.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/mas ... microsoft/

Notice the keyword 'delay'.  No ability to stop the thing once it starts.  It has to fail, or you have to wait, just like with the Win10 updates where you can't say no.  Cheeky, doncha think?

Even were Win10 perfect and there was no aka.ms/msa, this is so not the right way to handle it.  Like a guy forcing himself on a gal and when she says no, he gives her a delay.

Edited by brainout, 12 November 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

NickAu post#6, to clarify this post WHAT are you describing as "plain wrong". Ms's actions as reported in the news story? Something someone has stated in a post? From what you posted there it's not too easy to tell.

Brainout post#9, with LUCK it might be possible to stop such a thing in progress by deleting gwx.exe and it's friends, but this would require a lot of work with permissions and could also be quite risky if done so late, deleting gwx on a computer where KB3035583 has been uninstalled and no "upgrading" is in progress is safe, but doing this while any kind of "upgrade" was happening might be riskier. Perhaps safest way to make sure is to have system images and if one ever finds oneself in the process of being automatically "upgraded", power down the hard way with the finger on the button then boot up, don't even log in just choose the option to restart while holding down shift, restart into the recovery environment then recover from the system image.

Edited by rp88, 15 November 2015 - 12:35 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users