Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Scheduler does not invole Windows Based Script Host

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ubtree

Ubtree

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

I am trying to set up Task Scheduler to run a .vbs script file.  The script runs without a problem if I double-click on the file, but if I try to run it using Task Scheduler, a windows headed "How do you want to open this file?" appears, and Microsoft Windows Based Script Host is not listed as an option.

I have performed a repair install of Windows 10, but even this did not help.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hi Ubtree :)

If you want, you can select the program you want to associate with .vbs files yourself. Simply click on "Choose another program" and navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and pick the wscript.exe executable.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

Check out what's going on in your file associations.  On my machine VBS files are already set to run using the method you think they should by default.

file_associations.jpg

If yours doesn't look like this then reset the file association.

P.S.  I was typing this and attaching the screen capture at the same time Aura was offering his variant on this same answer first, but I'm leaving it here for the screen capture.

Edited by Grinler, 19 December 2015 - 03:09 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thank you very much for the rapid replies, Aura and britechguy.  However, wscipt.exe isn't present in C:\Windows\system32.

There are 4 instances of wscript.exe in:

• C:\Windows.old\Windows\WInSxS\amdß4_microsoft-windows-scripting_31 bf3856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_none_5068c4c49b073c1f
  • C:\Windows.old\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-scripting_31 bf3856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_none_5abd6fl 6cf67fel a
  • C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-scripting_3 1 bf3856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_none_5068c4c49b073c1f
  • C:\WindowAWinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-scripting_31 bf3.856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_none_Sabd6fl Lcf67fel a

And there are 4 instances of wscript.exe.mui in:

• C:\Windows.old\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-scripting.resources_31 bf3256ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_en-us_932d12bdf2201140
  • C:\Windows.old\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-scripting.resources_31 bf3SSGad3B4e3S_10.0.1 0240.1 6384_en-us_370e773a39c3800a
  • C:\WindowAWinSxS\amd&4_microsoft-windows-scripting.resources_31 bf3856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_en-us_932d1 2bdf220f140
  • C:\Windows\WinSxS\xSB_microsoft-wi ndows-scripting.resources_31 bf3856ad364e35_1 0.0.10240.1 6384_en-us_370e773a39c3800a

I'm feeling a completely new clean install coming up!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't have the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=664B65A4F7D25E69!108&authkey=!AFX-oEtOMYS38U0&ithint=file%2ctxt

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

SFC only repaired one corrupt file which is totally unrelated to wscript.exe.

If you go in C:\Windows\SysWoW64, do you have a file called wscript.exe?

unite_blue.png

#8 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

If you go in C:\Windows\SysWoW64, do you have a file called wscript.exe?

No, definitely not.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Then this is a problem. If you launch your VBS script, right-click on its process in the Task Manager (wscript.exe) and select Open File Location, where does it leads you?

unite_blue.png

#10 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Before I performed the repair install earlier today, the .vbs script did run if started directly, even though Task Scheduler would not run it.  When I try it now, however, I get a "service cannot be started message".

I performed an sfc /scannow before I carried out the repair install, and errors were reported.  And now there is another error, despite the recent sfc run and a repair install.  Should errors be occurring like this?  (The system is on a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB) drive.)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

No, errors shouldn't be occuring like that. What's weird is that you don't have a wscript.exe executable in both System32 and SysWoW64, and SFC cannot see that, even thought we can see that they indeed exists in the store.

unite_blue.png

#12 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

No, errors shouldn't be occuring like that.

Is there a utility that I could use to test the SSD?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

I like to use GSmartControl to test drives health.

S8ANNnz.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png

#14 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for the link.  And thank you for the time that you are spending on this.

I hadn't come across GSmartControl before  -  it looks very good.  I'll run the tests and post the results tomorrow.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

I'm using it right now to test a suspected failing drive :P Keep me updated!

unite_blue.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users