Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to rollback to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi guys,

My friend tried to upgrade their laptop running win7 to win10. After installing the laptop will start and go straight to automatic repair. It says I have no system restore points. It will not let me go back to a previous build as it couldn't find a previous build to. And it will not let me reset the laptop.

I've run out of options and would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

ndonaldson2912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

Did you happen to take a full system backup of the Win7 environment before trying to do the upgrade?  If so, you should be able to use that to restore the machine if you boot it with a Windows System Repair Disc (whether from Win7 or Win10).

You can make a Windows System Repair Disc from another machine running Win7 or Win10.  I try to stick with creating it on a 32-bit machine if the one I'm trying to rescue is a 32-bit system or on 64-bit if the system to be rescued is 64-bit.

You may even get somewhere as far as repairing the startup on Win10 if you create a System Repair Disc on another Win10 machine and use the startup repair option.

If you don't have backups I do not know if the Win10 System Repair Disc has any feature that allows it to use the Windows.old rollback file that gets created when you do an in-place upgrade.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

Just to add a few things (but not to take away from britechguy's post):

- You can order recovery media from the laptop manufacturer.  Go to their support page for info on how to do this.  In the US, try this page of mine:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html

- If the system has been activated (on Microsoft's servers), they have a legitimate copy of W10.

At that point they can install W10 "clean" and it'll activate after skipping the first request for a product key, and telling it to do it later at the 2nd request.

You can get installation media here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

- in general, if you update a well-used system to W10 (and have severe problems with it), it's likely that you won't be able to revert to the previous OS without further (sometimes fatal) problems.  But, there's no harm in trying it, as if it doesn't work the next step is a format and reinstall anyway.  Don't forget to backup your stuff!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately I don't think my friend done any form of backup when upgrading. Therefore I feel reverting back to win7 is not a possibility anymore. Is there anything I can do to get win10 to start up correctly? It just keeps looping into startup repair and anything I try will not fix that...

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:10 AM

- If the system has been activated (on Microsoft's servers), they have a legitimate copy of W10.

At that point they can install W10 "clean" and it'll activate after skipping the first request for a product key, and telling it to do it later at the 2nd request.

You can get installation media here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

FYI - Recovery media from the manufacturer is a lot cheaper than purchasing a retail copy of Windows.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

Will this allow me to still keep my files etc?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

Depends on which of the things you try to do.

DISM, SFC.exe, Startup Repair, Automatic Repair, System Restore will all let you keep your data

Reset with the Keep My Files Option will also do this.

Reset with the Remove Everything option will wipe everything out.

Recovery media from the manufacturer will wipe everything out.

Backing up data from a system is fairly easy as long as the hardware isn't broken.
You'll need an external drive to save the data on, and you'll need a bootable CD/DVD that will allow you to load an operating system into memory (so you can copy stuff from the computer to the external drive)

The bootable CD/DVD can be found for free on the internet.  Presuming that this was a Win7 system originally, you can use any bootable disks that meet this criteria (W8 and later systems use UEFI instead of the BIOS - and it's harder to find disks that boot with it).  Here's a link with some suggestions:  http://www.sevenforums.com/software/163923-request-bootable-explorer.html

FWIW - if you're a DOS jockey, then just do it from the Command Prompt on a Repair disk/drive.

The easiest thing is to just copy the entire Users folder - that's where all the data is.
Check it to make sure you have everything, and you're done!

#8 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

How do I access my data etc on my hard drive to back up if the system will not load. It will not let me do anything, no system restore, no system reset or reverting to previous build...

Can I try taking the hard drive out of the laptop, placing in a hard drive cradle and copying any files/pictures to another computer. Then do a fresh reinstall of win7 and just copy everything back across???

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

If you're technically able, the easiest thing would be to put the drive in a cradle and copy the data to another computer.

Almost all data is now stored in the Users folder - so just copying that will capture most everything (Be sure to enable the viewing of Hidden files/folders if you're looking to backup email and browser stuff - most of that is in the AppData folder).

You'll have to copy things to the proper folders when copying the data back to the original computer, but other than that it's not very hard to do.

If you don't have another computer, then you can boot from a disk that loads an operating system (OS) into your memory (RAM).

Then you use that OS to access the files on the hard drive and copy them to another device (such as a USB hard drive).

Edited by usasma, 11 November 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#10 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Would Windows 7 still load from a disk even though Windows 10 is installed? Or would I need a win10 disk

#11 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

Apologies for my ignorance guys but im just trying to get my head round this issue. Can I download and run slitaz 4.0 off a CD and then use it to retrieve any documents, pictures etc. And then do a fresh install of win7 again??

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

When you boot from the W7 disk you'll have the option to delete the partitions.

Do so and you'll be able to install W7 "clean"

You can use a Live Linux distro (such as slitaz) to copy/retrieve any documents/pictures/etc and then do a fresh install of W7.

#13 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:37 AM

I have used slitaz to copy across any files that I required. So thanks for that! Does anyone know where I could download an ISO for Windows 7 Home Premium OA? I assume it is a 32bit OS however, I am unable to check to be sure...

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:57 AM

This link provides downloads - don't know if it works with an OEM product key:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

FWIW - it's much simpler and easier to get recovery media from the laptop manufacturer.

That way the manufacturer can provide all the additional programs and drivers needed for the system.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Just to add to usasma's post, the download page for the Windows 7 iso file will only work with a retail license key.

For amusement I tried it twice, once with the OEM license key on my old Win7 laptop and once with the license key on an OEM upgrade to Win7 Ultimate disc that I purchased.   In both cases a message came back along the lines of, "This appears to be an OEM license key.  Please contact your equipment manufacturer to obtain media."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users