Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:27 AM

Hi all.

Ive been,mucho busy lately and havnt updated my Windows 7s,i always turn auto update of and then go to the microsoft update

site and update them.

Long story short i sit down to update the two 7s we have at home and find all the"win 7 is being forced to update to 10 posts.

Can someone who understands the issue explain where we are with this now and maybe  an apropriate plan of action here? one of our 7s is a littlle hp netbook that wouldnt take 10 and i dont want my elegant little dell inspiron duo running clunky 10 either.

In theory 7 still has a lot of life in it?Can someone give me the facts on this one?

(please can we avoid rants on this one and stick to the facts (i notice over on the 10 part of the forum people have steam coming out of their ears on this stuff) i know ms are being dodgy but i need to grock what to do on these compters,

Ta very muchly in advance.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 10 November 2015 - 05:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

In theory 7 still has a lot of life in it?Can someone give me the facts on this one?

Windows 7 is still supported until January 14th 2020, so you basically have another 4 years and a few months where you can use it safely. As for the "plan of action", simply hide the Windows Updates if you don't want to install them, and set your Windows Update to Check for updates, but let me know when to download and install them and uncheck Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates and that should do the trick. From there, you'll be notified when updates are found, but no action will be taken as long as you don't approve of it (in other word, manually click on the "Install" button).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:32 AM

Aura thanks,that does it for me

Just wanted to check the situation as the two comps are gltchless so far..thought looking at some of the posts that someone from ms might sneak in,in the

middle of the night and start installing win 10 if i didnt sign up :)

Thanks again

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:43 AM

No problem. If you want to keep an eye on updates that are related to Windows 10, you can follow rp88's Windows Update monitoring thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

And don't worry if you see "downloading Windows 10" after you've picked a KB you do want, I too get that now and then.  It's a glitch on MS side of things, you are actually getting only what you clicked to get.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 November 2015 - 01:08 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

No problem. If you want to keep an eye on updates that are related to Windows 10, you can follow rp88's Windows Update monitoring thread.

Thanks again Aura,thats really usefull,hadnt spotted that one,ill follow. :busy:

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

No problem Wolverine, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

And don't worry if you see "downloading Windows 10" after you've picked a KB you do want, I too get that now and then.  It's a glitch on MS side of things, you are actually getting only what you clicked to get.

Thanks RolandJS thats usefull to know also,guess id be expecting a glitch or two along those lines,but thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 10 November 2015 - 07:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users