Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am not able to change my default search

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

I am on google chrome and when i go on there and try to do a general search, it doesn't search through google chrome.  It searches through a thing called http://go.mail.ru/.  When I try to change the search engine, it says it is under http://firstsputik.ru and when  I try to click on another search engine, it says that it has to be done by an administrator, but I am the only user on this computer and I am the administrator.  I tried to uninstall and reinistall google chrome and it did not work.  I deleted all programs or whatever that went with this and it still won't let me search under a normal google search.  I also tried to reboot my computer to the last significant update to delete anything else that has been added since the last update and that didn't help either.  I am about to rip my hair out.  Please help!!!!  

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2015 - 01:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

I am on google chrome and when i go on there and try to do a general search, it doesn't search through google chrome.  It searches through a thing called http://go.mail.ru/.  When I try to change the search engine, it says it is under http://firstsputik.ru and when  I try to click on another search engine, it says that it has to be done by an administrator, but I am the only user on this computer and I am the administrator.  I tried to uninstall and reinistall google chrome and it did not work.  I deleted all programs or whatever that went with this and it still won't let me search under a normal google search.  I also tried to reboot my computer to the last significant update to delete anything else that has been added since the last update and that didn't help either.  I am about to rip my hair out.  Please help!!!!  

Nicole,

Have you run a virus/malware scan? It appears that malware may be the culprit. I use malware bytes for a malware scanner. Please let me know if that resolves your issue. FYI if that fails you may need to open a thread under the malware section of these forums.

Edited by Jormeno1982, 10 November 2015 - 10:39 AM.

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

You have what is called a browser hijacker; it is a virus that forces you to go to a certain webpage and resets your normal home page to something else. The hacker makes money this way. As Jormeno posted above, post in at the malware section; follow the instructions and someone will be along to help you.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thank you.  I will copy and paste to the malware section!

#5 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

BTW,  I did a malware scan and it scanned and deleted some stuff, but I am still having the same problem

#6 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

I am so sorry to bother you guys, but I'm new to this forum.  Where is the malware section?  I"m sorry I'm a moron

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

I don't know how to post hyperlink because of my school isp blocks some things, look for:  "Am I infected?  What do I do?" forum.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 nicolebrady409

nicolebrady409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Oh!  Ok!  Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users