Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird noise coming from computer and don't know what it is.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 llama drama

llama drama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

I have had this noise coming from my computer and I am not sure what it is. It is an HP Envy 700-249 with an Intel i7 4770, nVidia gt 635, and the PSU is 460W that came with the computer (internal ATX 460W) It was making the sound before and I thought dust may be the issue so I cleaned it but it changed nothing.

Link to mp3 of the noise (closeup audio with iphone [quality may be a little bad]): http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aSSzr91f7p

Note: The sound isn't always on, it sort of turns on and off either very often or not at all sometimes

It seems to have gotten worse? Here's another audio clip: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1roaRrZQcNi

Edited by llama drama, 09 November 2015 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:41 AM

So what is it coming from? It's pretty hard to tell from a recording, but it could well be a noisy/dry bearing, either a fan or hard drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 llama drama

llama drama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

I am unsure as to where it is coming from. Is there a way I can try to locate the issue?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

Can you remove the cover temporarily, and as soon as the noise occurs, maybe your ear can better tell you noise origin; if not, perhaps during the noise, stop the fan spin just for a short time.  IF the hard-drive is making noise -- make sure you have current OS and data backups.  There is no way to know how long a failing HD has in the way of spin-hours, range from 2-3 hours [which is rare] to normally days.  IF the fan, that fan itself should be easy to replace.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 November 2015 - 03:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 llama drama

llama drama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

I see the problem now, it was the gpu. It is a very low end one and came with the computer and when I stop it's fan the noise completely shuts off and the computer is silent. Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users