Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell ST2410 just went black the other day.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skyfly1715

skyfly1715

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

Intel I5-3570k 3.40 GHz

8 GB of Ram

64 bit operating system

Windows 7

The monitor is a Dell ST2410. I opened it up and it was made in 2009. I've had it since 2010.

So yesterday I was sitting here and it just "went black". Power was still on. So I turned off the power, turned it back on, and for 2 seconds thought it was a glitch or something. But it went black again. Tried this a couple of times before finally just accepting something was wrong with it. So jumped on the ole net and started looking around. Came across people who had, had this same problem and it turned out to be the invert-er board.

I've changed the power cord. Changed the HDMI cable, not sure why but did it anyways. Still does the same thing. Took it out to Best Buy opened it up for them and the " GEEK " squad couldn't even tell me which was the invert-er board. Which I thought was kinda of funny. You'd think those guys wouldn't know that. Anyways, I can't find a picture online of my particular monitor to show me which one is the invert-er board.

I took some pictures. Maybe someone here can tell me which one of these is the board (invert-er) so I might hopefully find a replacement. If that is, what you think it wrong with it. And if it is, where would you suggest I can find one at? Because another shop I took it to before Best Buy told me they wouldn't even know where to find an invert-er board at for this monitor.

Also the guy at Best Buy said it might be where you plug into the monitor at? So I provided a picture of that too. lol.

Thanks for any help.

Chad

Oh, maybe I've not provided enough pictures. I've obviously not opened it up completely. I cant see the need to yet. But if I need to, I can.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:49 PM

Hello skyfly1715:

Please check and see if the Dell ST2410b Monitor Repair Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Dell-ST2410B-Monitor-Repair-Capacitors/dp/B00DONN7KK) has any interest for you.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 skyfly1715

skyfly1715
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

Hello skyfly1715:

Please check and see if the Dell ST2410b Monitor Repair Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Dell-ST2410B-Monitor-Repair-Capacitors/dp/B00DONN7KK) has any interest for you.

Thank you.

Well thank you for your help, but I do not believe it to be a capacitor.

I went ahead and took it all apart and took some pictures of the capacitors, and they all look fine.

The last picture is one of both boards, do you know which on is the invert-er board?

Thanks

Ok well I can't figure out how to post these pictures I took. Why was it so easy when starting the topic now it's asking for a url? Anyways...

Edited by skyfly1715, 10 November 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hello skyfly1715:

With the greatest of respect, just because an electrolytic has not blown apart or shows  signs of swelling does not necessarily mean their ESRs have not become intolerably high nor their labled capacitance is not wildly out of tolerance after five years of use. I have a pair of Dell ST2410 monitors but neither are currently failed yet it seems like a $15USD capacitor replacement kit is not an exorbitant price to pay. Do you believe it is coincidental that someone has put together a capacitor replacement kit for the Dell ST2410?

If that is not a path you wish to travel, 24" replacement monitors, have price points starting at approximately $100USD these days.

To attach JPEGs in a BC subforum reply, you will want to go through the "More Reply Options" button in the lower-right corner of a reply window of an IP.Board supported forum.

Cheers and best wishes to you.

Edited by 1PW, 11 November 2015 - 11:57 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 skyfly1715

skyfly1715
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hello skyfly1715:

With the greatest of respect, just because an electrolytic has not blown apart or shows  signs of swelling does not necessarily mean their ESRs have not become intolerably high nor their labled capacitance is not wildly out of tolerance after five years of use. I have a pair of Dell ST2410 monitors but neither are currently failed yet it seems like a $15USD capacitor replacement kit is not an exorbitant price to pay. Do you believe it is coincidental that someone has put together a capacitor replacement kit for the Dell ST2410?

If that is not a path you wish to travel, 24" replacement monitors, have price points starting at approximately $100USD these days.

To attach JPEGs in BC forum reply, you will want to go through the "More Reply Options" button in the lower-right corner of a reply window of an IP.Board supported forum.

Cheers and best wishes to you.

Well thank you for the respect while at the same time showing a bit of hostility in your quote. lol I imagine a person has put together a capacitor replacement kit for the same reason as a person puts together a kit for anything else, to sell it, and make some money. Now I'm not a person who can "test" a capacitor. I can however look at it, and see if it visually looks "blown". Which is what many people who had this problem report, that I have found on the web. So that's why I wrote that. Now if it comes down to me having to test it and solder it, well that's above my range. But thanks for the help.

Cheers!

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hello skyfly1715:

Anything the opposite of helpfulness is really unintended. I truly apologize for any misperceptions.

Even if it takes a long time, please come back to update this thread with your final solution.

Thank you and good luck.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Is there a way to temporarily borrow another monitor and another HDMI cable, attach to the computer, and test?  Try the borrowed monitor with your cable in both regular and Safe Mode, try just the borrowed cable and your present monitor in both regular and Safe Mode, if none of these combinations work -- you might have to trouble-shoot the computer.  From your earlier description, my money's on a bad monitor, however, it doesn't hurt to troubleshoot the cable and the computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 November 2015 - 03:17 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 skyfly1715

skyfly1715
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

Is there a way to temporarily borrow another monitor and another HDMI cable, attach to the computer, and test?  Try the borrowed monitor with your cable in both regular and Safe Mode, try just the borrowed cable and your present monitor in both regular and Safe Mode, if none of these combinations work -- you might have to trouble-shoot the computer.  From your earlier description, my money's on a bad monitor, however, it doesn't hurt to troubleshoot the cable and the computer.

Oh yes I've already checked this. It's not that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users