Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would cause Caps Lock to stay locked and other keys to stop working?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hello All,

This is not really a request for fix assistance, since I've already fixed the problem, but I wanted to see if someone could explain how the now fixed issue came to be.

I work with individuals who are visually-impaired or blind to teach them how to use their computers with assistive technology such as screen readers and magnifiers (most commonly JAWS and ZoomText but there are others).

One of my current clients has an HP laptop that is hooked to a large-screen TV via HDMI and who's also using an external keyboard and mouse when he's at his desk.  On Friday, there was an accident where several heavy objects were dropped and hit both the external keyboard and mouse, but not the computer.  Subsequent testing shows neither the mouse nor the external keyboard were damaged.  The laptop itself was untouched during this incident.  The client had believed that the keyboard and/or mouse were damaged, and acquired a bluetooth portable keyboard and mouse, but the behavior I'm about to describe for the keyboard occurred on the laptop's built-in keyboard, the external wired keyboard, and the external bluetooth keyboard:

1.  Caps Lock was absolutely locked.  Nothing would unlock it, including fiddling with input method settings to switch the caps lock on/off to the Shift key rather than shift lock.

2.  Backspace was not responded to.

3.  The up arrow/down arrow keys were completely unresponsive.

I did not attempt to see whether any of the other "control-type" keys were dead since we needed to get what was already exhibiting itself fixed.  StickyKeys was not activated since multiple Shift key strikes in an attempt to see if Caps Lock would unlock it brought up the "Would you like to activate sticky keys?" dialog.  An extended Caps Lock hold-down also did nothing.

Here is what fixed this:

- Forcing a complete shutdown using Win+R then running shutdown.exe /s /f /t 00

Once the machine rebooted and the keyboard functions were returned to absolutely normal I made a point of going into power settings and turning fast start off, since multiple attempts at shutting the computer down and restarting it with fast boot on did not resolve this issue.  All of the keyboards went back to normal.  I thought it was particularly interesting that the Bluetooth keyboard had its Caps Lock function stuck on since it didn't even enter the picture until after the accident and it was thought it might be a workaround.

Does anyone have a reasonable theory regarding how these keyboard irregularities might have been induced during the accident?  They appear to have been saved somehow in the hiberfile used by fast start since forcing a complete shutdown and allowing the system to do a full boot sequence cleared the problem.

Thanks in advance for any insights.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users