Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a desktop, doesn't have to be brand new, non-internet usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

Here are my current specs and you'll know why I need to upgrade:

I'm currently running a Pentium 1 with Phoenix Bios 4.00 - built in 8.4GB limit. A 2 GB IDE hard-drive. Windows NT 4 OS (FAT 16 only; can read but can't edit FAT 32). Non-internet. Two USB slots (either 1.0 or 1.1 speed). Parallel port printer.

Sadly, if it weren't for the 8.4GB hdd limit and the fact that newish (and therefore reliable) IDE hard drives don't exist any more, I'd *gladly* keep my current set-up.

I will *never* hook my personal computer to the internet.

The desktop doesn't have to be brand new. I've had nothing but good luck with second hand and abandoned computers in past (286, 386, 486, Pentium 1). Are second-hand and obsolete modern SATA systems just as reliable?

I'd like the casing to have slots in the front panel and have the ability to accommodate a floppy drive. Try not laughing so hard, please. USB floppy drives exist, but I'd rather have the drive in the system. Floppy drives are built to last. And I don't want to unnecessarily buy new equipment.

I really need a parallel port for my printer. Many DOS programs such as DOS WordPerfect aren't serial cable compatible. What can I say? I like DOS programs.

I'm currently running Windows NT 4.0 but have the Windows XP Professional reinstallation CD in its original wrapping. I haven't bothered to research if DOS programs work with Windows XP, but as long as they do then I'll upgrade. Hello Fat32! Besides, too many shareware/freeware programs won't work on Windows NT 4.0. Virtually everything is backwards compatible to Windows XP.

I sometimes have several programs running at once, including DOS programs which famously eat up a lot of memory. Beyond that I know little about memory, but I suspect everything in the last five years is a vast improvement on my antiquated Pentium 1. Same for computer speed. 90% of the time my Pentium 1 works fast enough for me.

100GB of hdd space is probably more than enough for me. Try not laughing so hard, thanks.

I will not be overclocking. From what little I know about overclocking it can damage the system.

I only intend to use one monitor. It's a five-year old 15 inch 1.33 flat panel monitor. I see no reason to upgrade as it does everything I want it to. I also have a twenty year-old CRT 13 inch monitor that I use as backup.

Four USB slots would be nice. SD card slots? Sure, why not.

It'd be nice if the motherboard has multiple SATA and IDE slots.

I don't want a super-tiny desktop computer: I like to have space to stick my hands when I remove the casing and explore inside.

The motherboard must have non-integrated components.

I'd prefer if the computer had the old-fashioned mouse & keyboard small circle slots, but I think I've got a USB keyboard & mouse somewhere in the basement. Hate to tie up USB slots unnecessarily, though.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Edited by computerdownhouse, 09 November 2015 - 06:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

I think a dell optiplex 960 would suit your needs. As for a parallel port you can probably find a pci expansion port with a parallel port. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM