Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Rootkit or other type of Virus.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chan-man

Chan-man

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

I own a cellphone and computer repair shop. This morning a customer brings me his HP 2000 laptop in and says the following "It was running win 7 and I upgraded it to win 10 and I didn't like it so i downgraded it back down to win 7 and now the keyboard and mouse wont work". He asid the downgraded it via a link that said something to the extent of "don't like win 10 revert to your old OS of win 7".

I figured maybe a driver issue so it's a easy fix. I started the computer and figured if i plugged in external it would work but nothing. Neither internal or external is working. This includes safe mode also. When I went to boot Hirens cd the internal keyboard wouldn't let me select the boot cd but the external does. Once I get into hirens and boot mini xp both internal and external work.

I've run malwarebytes in mini XP and returned nothing.

i'm currently running kaspersky rescue CD and scanning and internal and external keyboards work fine.

I know i should'nt run combofix but i just opened it in mini xp to see if it returned anything. The program opened a blue command window and started scanning and then returned a message to the extent of "root-kit found need to restart". I'm completely stumped on what to do at this point.

I figure somebody is going to eventually tell me to wipe and reload but to me that's avoiding an issue and not facing it. I want to learn how to repair these issues if possible not run from them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

Hello,

Since you mentioned you work in a repair shop, did you check the following:

• Are there any upper/lower filters set for the mouse and keyboard in the registry?
  • If the computer has an UEFI BIOS, have you disabled fast/ultra fast boot?

If you tried this and it didn't work, are the keyboard/mouse connected via USB (external)? If the computer does have a PS2 port, any chance you can try it with a PS2 mouse/keyboard?

If you do not know how to verify the upper/lower filters or BIOS settings, just let me know.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Chan-man

Chan-man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

I'm sorry the customer didn't want to wait they told me to just do a wipe and reload thank you though.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users