Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis Backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Haezeus

Haezeus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

I have a .TIB archive that that I backed up from a laptop. I have this archive on an external hard drive. I am able to view the files, I am having trouble doing anything other than mounting the drive (which doesn't allow me to access the C:/USERS section, it says I need priveleges - I follow the instructions and it says I have read/write priveleges) I'm also able to view the files simply by double clicking on the .TIB file (which allows me to view every single file - but I can't copy any files onto my disc) 

I have acronis 11 ( I think 11.5 ) and I don't totally know how to use it. i've tried creating a virtual drive and a few other things but am having a very hard time getting this data onto my new computer so that i can use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - if you need me to clarify or if I've misunderstood the context of the words I'm using please help me better understand and I'm hoping to find a solution.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

I've used Acronis True Image for a few years now.  Did you create this tlb backup under an administrative-level account?  If you are trying to copy some folders/files from within an earlier Windows users folder -- that is going to be a problem.  IE, simply copying C:\users from an earlier Windows into a present Windows is not going to happen without the proper administrative read/write permissions.  While I know Acronis, I am not totally familiar with editing system-wide level read/write permissions -- you will need a Windows guru in here to help you with that.   And, I'll follow this thread so that I will know more things the next time.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 November 2015 - 12:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Haezeus

Haezeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

I don't believe that I had administrative privileges. I was using Hirens Boot DVD on a laptop that wouldn't load windows. 

As I said, I can view all of the files and access all of the files (open audio files, video files - even the ones in c:\users) 

But yeah, I see what you're saying about copying without the proper read/write permissions.

It says I have read/write permission when I go into the security tab though, it's odd. 

Is there another way to go about it? Given that I can view and use the files (like I said open audio, image, and video files) is there another way to go about this than simply copying and pasting? Is there a way to "compile" the set of .TIB archive? or "unpack" it? I may be using the wrong words, I am definitely in way over my head here.

Thanks for the response :)  

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:56 PM

Not that I know of; let's await and see if anybody knows the answers.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Haezeus

Haezeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

I am happy to inform you that I figured it out. I tried "one last thing" and it just happened to work, thankfully! so hopefully this can help you if you're interested 

With the .TIB file on an external harddrive  I used Acronis True Image 2016 (I actually used a free trial) Selected the appropriate Archive that is on the external hard drive (for me it automatically recognized this .TIB file but that may be because I had previously right clicked and opened it through the same software. I selecedt the .TIB file, clicked the button "Recover Files" and I proceeded to select the drive that i wanted to copy from the .TIB file, selected to keep the structure format the same,  set the destination on my Desktop computer drive and it successfully transfered every single file labelled as Drive© perfectly intact.

Access to all files and folders, even the user folder which I had trouble with previously while mounting the drive. After removing the external hard drive this folder is permanently on my computer and I am able to access every file, copy, paste, etc. I have full rights over all the files. It asks for Admin privileges going into USERS but it works absolutely 100%

hopefully I explained this correctly

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

That's great news!  I shall keep this thread in mind if I ever have something similar happen to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users