Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Rescue disk and Vista Home

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

I have a Vista Home os on a Compaq Presario that I need to reinstall the OS.
None of my system backups proved to be any good. Corrupted/infected back up software. I do however have a rescue disk [Norton] I believe it was made with.

Now I have never used one does anyone know how it works? Do I just boot up with it and it will format and reinstall vista or do I need to reformat the drive and then run the disk.

The recovery partition has all ready been used up so that is no longer an option. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

How does one use up a recovery partition?  The Norton Rescue disk I remember let's you bypass the now-non-working normal boot and recover enough OS functionality to save your data files.  I don't know what the present Norton Rescue DVDs promise.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Looonnnggg story on that I sent that pc in to Compaq to try to recover my data and replace a failing HDD under warrenty just before the extended warrenty expired. I got it back in 3 days which means they only had it 1 day.

I got back no data and I think the drive was never changed they just seem to have used the recovery partition. My Cd/dvd rom is now installed in place of the D partition which makes it no longer work.

Windows apparently looks for it on E drive where it used to be and not finding it, it will not run.
I will have to use a USB drive to reinstall the system if I even can. I do not think I will even try to save my data & programs. I am a programs junkie lol I probably have 400 or more programs on the drive but can't trust them anymore.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

Wow. Can you back up your data, do you have program install media (discs or downloads)?

--- Since you probably have 400 or more programs on the drive unfortunately I don't know how we can help you on that if you don't have what it takes to reinstall them if you don't have their program install media.

--- But make a list of what they are and maybe you will be able to get some free or updated versions of some of them

I think it would be good for us to see a snapshot of the hard drive setup in Disk Management

I don't know the path in Vista but in Windows 7 it's: Administrative tools > Computer management > Storage > Disk management

Do you know the 25-character product key for your Vista in case you end up needing it?

If not go to www.belarc.com and find your Vista product key in the software licenses section.

You can also look for product keys for some of your programs

Then you can go to http://www.restorediscs.com/  and call them 678-715-3329.

Read the information and note you will need the product key that came with your pc when it was purchased 

You should then be able to reinstall your OS to factory condition although saving and recovering your data, programs etc. are still an issue

OK another consideration is to upgrade to Windows 7 but that involves a different path which can be discussed if you want to go there.

In my mind, back up your data as well as you can

Make sure the computer is clean

Restore the Vista to it's factory conditions using restorediscs.com: that should set the hard drive etc. back the way they should be

Get caught up on all of the Vista Windows Updates

Create a pristine system image backup

Continue using Vista as you see fit but know that Vista reaches it's EOL in 2017

Consider upgrading to Windows 7 sooner than later.

Edited by cmptrgy, 09 November 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

Any other ideas or is this the best option?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

What is it exactly that you want to do?  When your computer posts and boots -- what do you want the hard-drive be:  partition[s]-wise?  Do you want the Vista or another OS to be on one partition, the data on another partition, or, everything on just one partition?  I thought cmptrgy was crystal clear as to the best course of action  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 10 November 2015 - 10:32 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

I just want a plain jane computer again.  I have just never used the service mentioned before so I was not shure about it.

Single boot single OS not a multi boot.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

Then you do as post number four listed; that is the best way.  :)

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

Ok thanks.

Disk ordered will report back about how well they worked.  Be about 7 days probably.

Edited by dannyboy950, 10 November 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:32 AM

"I have just never used the service mentioned before so I was not shure about it"

That makes sense as I remember when I thought the same way

Did you acquire the 25-character product key?

I'd like to add a couple of other ideas

Before starting, create a system image backup of your computer as is with a 3rd party backup

Nothings perfect as there could be additional issues we are not aware of

I'm not taking Compaq of the hook but I've seen similar situations

After reverting your computer back to factory condition and following above recommendations also uninstall bloatware before creating the pristine system image backup.using your 3rd party program and maintain a backup schedule that suits you.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

Well my recovery discs came in.  I guess we will try tomorrow to recover the system. Came with 2 dvd. The programs that were origonally installed and the OS from what the paper work said.  We will see tomorrow I guess.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

Good luck. Keep in mind if an issue comes up, call them as they guarantee their products

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

I think I am in a quandary here. The dvd's came with 2 instruction sheets. First says the dvd should boot from cd/dvd rom by pressing any key. No worky.  Second page says I may have to change the boot order in bios, except I do not remember the key sequence to change boot order.  I know it is f9 but I vaguely remember I have to press some other keys as well in the right order or at the same time.  Memory a bit vauge on this.

My even bigger problem I think is the built in cd/dvd rom does not work the little reae/write head no longer moves. I am having to use a usb dvd rom.  Bios is not going to know this drive even exists.  It will be pointed to D, actually the letter where the drive actually used to be. So will windows think so.

Will I have to actually uninstall the physical drive from the computer itself? Or just removeing in devices/properties?

I think when I go to reboot windows may just reinstall the drive.

What do yall think?

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Can you boot into the computer like you normally do and verify whether or not the system clock is correct?

--- If it isn't it needs to be corrected including the possibility to replace the CMOS battery

"I think when I go to reboot windows may just reinstall the drive"

--- That's what I would do after verifying the above

I have a Compaq Presario desktop that I upgraded to Windows 7.

The Boot Menu is accessed by pressing ESC and the setup (BIOS) is accessed by pressing F10..

I have an external DVD drive but it's a RW type: I do not know the effect of a ROM type in your case

--- Someone else will need to chime in on that

--- It  needs to be known whether or not a dvd-rom can apply in your case. 

--- If it does it also needs to be known that it works correctly.

EDIT. I just reviewed the issues about your failing hard drive and Compaq's lousy service. It reminded of a few years ago about a friend who took her computer to a computer repair shop for a failing hard drive that I told her it needed to be replaced. It was in warranty at the time but was only about a few weeks  for the warranty would expire. They told her it didn't need to be replaced  and did whatever they did to it and returned it to her making her think she would be ok. I predicted she'd be lucky if she would get 6 months out of it but then the warranty would be expired. Well the hard drive itself did expire after only a month.

--- I would guess that you not only have the issues with the hard drive from when you got the computer back can be a major factor in what you need to do now: a fresh install on a messed up failing hard drive. So lets keep that possibility in mind

Edited by cmptrgy, 17 November 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

That is interesting. My black boot screen just before windows loads says f9 to change boot order.

I did a little experiment on my own I can not uninstall the drive by the program properties. Guess I was thinking about devices in Win X.  So I may have to put a new dvd drive in.  I have a dell that has a good dvd drive. I may need to change the drivers for it though.

Properties does say generic drivers though, so maybe not.

I will try rebooting using esc and see how it goes.

Onward and upward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users