Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Launching At Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hello all,

I'm sure, especially recently, that this has been asked numerous times on all kinds of sites. However, I can't seem to find a real answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help?

Anyway, the issue:

My company runs Exchange 2010 as the mail server and users have a variety of Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013 as the email client software. Just recently, maybe a few weeks ago, anyone who has a mail profile on their computer is fine. Nothing changed. However, those who don't have a mail profile on the computer (but still need Office for the other applications like Word and Excel) have been experiencing an issue that Outlook will launch itself upon logging into the computer. This wouldn't be a big problem, but we have an application that we use for various reasons that is vital to our company that runs from the server. It's essentially an RDP session to the application on the server. Needless to say that nobody has an email profile on the server. So the problem is that when any user opens this application, because the application is an RDP session to an application on the server, it launches the Outlook 2007 email configuration wizard.

This doesn't seem to be limited to the server (as it's happened on a computer I was setting up, Windows 7, Outlook 2010). Here is the strange thing: I don't think it is from a Windows Update as I found 2 servers that this was happening on (from actually remoting into the server with RDP) and, yes, I looked through all the installed updates and none of the KB numbers matched (as in there wasn't any updates that were the same on the servers).

If any further information is needed, I'll be more than happy to provide it. And I apologize if this isn't informative enough; I'm kind of doing a 2 man job for a while.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

First, I'm not clear on where Outlook is launching from -- is it opening from the local client or the RDP server? It sounds like the RDP server, but I just want to be sure.

You can do a custom install of Office so that Outlook isn't installed as part of the application suite. The only other thing I can think of is to alter the startup behavior of Outlook; you may have to go into msconfig, check the startup items, and disable Outlook if it's there.

Hope that helps.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hi sflatechguy,

Well, here's the thing: it seems to be all machines. If the logged in user does not have an email account set up on that particular machine, Outlook will launch and ask the user to set up an email account. If the user does have an email account set up on that machine, it won't launch until you manually launch it. So, because no users at all have an email account set up on the actual server itself, when opening the RDP program, that's when Outlook (that one from the server) launches. It launches when I connect as well but I set up an email account and logged into the program a few times, never launched Outlook. I took my email profile off of the server and launched the program and Outlook (from the server) launched.

Here is the weird thing, on the computers that I log into that have Outlook installed and I don't have my email account set up on them, Outlook launches but it doesn't seem to be limited to a single OS or a single version of Outlook. Windows 7 computers have done this along with Server 2008 servers. Outlook 2010 does this on the computers and Outlook 2007 from the servers. And the even weirder thing is that I can't seem to find any Windows updates (at least for Microsoft Office) that match. I've compared 2 servers (both of which are launching Outlook when connecting to them) together (using their "View Installed Updates" section) and I couldn't find any matches under Microsoft Office updates. I believe I have looked for the Outlook setting in msconfig but didn't find it in the Start up section and I've looked in the Startup folders on Windows 7 and Outlook is not in there either...

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

That is odd. Something has changed Outlook's default behavior. Where I work, Outlook doesn't launch automatically, even if you are logging into a PC for the first time. Maybe it's a logon script pushed out by Group Policy?

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

It would almost have to be, right? It seems like it is happening on every computer I've seen at my company (at least if the user logging in does not have have an email profile set up on that machine). I wonder if it's an accidental log in script thing. Because my company just recently integrated that Outlook automates an email signature so that everybody's signature is in the exact same format. This script pulls the information from the user's active directory profile (name, address, email address, telephone number(s), etc). I wonder if that is the culprit...

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Could be. In order to create the signature, you'd have to launch Outlook.

Might want to filter the script so it searches for a .pst file on the client, and if there isn't one, the script exits without doing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users