Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly wakes up at night

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 again, and my computer keeps waking up after I sleep it. I sleep it at night then while I'm asleep the computer wakes up. Apparently I can't find an option to disable USB wakeup, because I suspect my cats may be walking on the keyboard and waking the computer.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patrick.croner

patrick.croner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hey,

Try a preset power scheme - WIN 10 doesn't like you selecting your own - Also try going into Win 10 maintenance and deselect allow Win10 to wake computer for maintenance - It usually only does it at a certain time but it will keep trying until it gets it done if the computer is idle.

OR

Go to:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Click "Change advanced power settings"

Go to "Sleep->Allow wake timers" and change the setting to Disable.

2 options to disable below:

eAsRQ.png

Hope this helps!

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

Desktop or laptop?  If laptop, one can set "closing lid does nothing," and then closing lid before retiring for the night.

Cats cannot touch keyboard if the lid's down.  If desktop, tilt keyboard to vertical position, making sure it won't slip.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Another thing to look at is your keyboard settings in Control Panel.

http://anewdomain.net/2012/02/28/windows-keep-your-keyboard-mouse-waking-computer-sleep-mode/

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

It still does this after doing everything above.  It is a desktop.

Could my steering wheel be waking it up?

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

Any input device could be waking it up.

If it's the light from the monitor that's the problem you might simply want to turn off the monitor before retiring, then it won't matter if the computer awakes from sleep or not - you won't.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Another thing to check. In UEFI/BIOS make sure Wake on LAN, if you have this setting, is disabled.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

I had a similar problem, it was the LAN adapter.  Disabling "allow this device to wake the computer" in the Power Management tab for the adapter (in device manager) fixed my particular problem.

The terminal command "powercfg lastwake" (without quotes) may help pinpoint what is causing it to wake up.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 November 2015 - 11:27 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Any input device could be waking it up.

If it's the light from the monitor that's the problem you might simply want to turn off the monitor before retiring, then it won't matter if the computer awakes from sleep or not - you won't.

I always turn off my monitor when I'm not at the keyboard. The issue I am having with the computer on at night is electricity usage and the wear and tear of my components over time.

I had a similar problem, it was the LAN adapter.  Disabling "allow this device to wake the computer" in the Power Management tab for the adapter (in device manager) fixed my particular problem.

The terminal command "powercfg lastwake" (without quotes) may help pinpoint what is causing it to wake up.

It was already disabled.

Edited by gigawert, 10 November 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Well, when it comes to wear and tear on components I am a strong proponent of leaving the computer always on.  Most of the wear on things like fans, disk drives, etc., come from spinning them up repeatedly.  They last "almost forever" when perpetually on in my experience (at least if there's the occasional necessary vacuuming of the intake and output grates for the fans and the heatsink on the motherboard are done).  I never sleep my laptops when they're not on battery power for this very reason.

I always kill the monitor when I'm not going to be using it for an extended period, though.  Those are the power hogs, particularly on mobile hardware.

Edited by britechguy, 10 November 2015 - 06:51 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Well, when it comes to wear and tear on components I am a strong proponent of leaving the computer always on.  Most of the wear on things like fans, disk drives, etc., come from spinning them up repeatedly.  They last "almost forever" when perpetually on in my experience (at least if there's the occasional necessary vacuuming of the intake and output grates for the fans and the heatsink on the motherboard are done).  I never sleep my laptops when they're not on battery power for this very reason.

I always kill the monitor when I'm not going to be using it for an extended period, though.  Those are the power hogs, particularly on mobile hardware.

How about the CPU and PSU? Will they die sooner if electricity is constantly flowing through them?

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

How about the CPU and PSU? Will they die sooner if electricity is constantly flowing through them?

Given that I have a desktop that has run almost continuously for a decade and laptops for at least 7 years, I say no.  I still have one of my earliest laptops that runs WinXP that's going like a top, though it's not been in "constant on" mode for 5 years now since it's very rarely needed.

I have never had a CPU die, ever.  I think I've replaced the power supply in two towers and both of those "died young" and I have to believe they were defective.  It was a "just outside of warranty" death situation.

I've seen way more mechanical component failure, particularly fans, than I have seen electronic component failure.  Laptop keyboards also seem to get wonky with very advanced age on a routine basis.

#13 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

So I disabled all those input devices from waking up the PC, and even went so far as to remove the Wifi adapter before I slept the computer, and still it woke up last night.

#14 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

This sounds like a possessed device. Hahaha sorry just had to say it. 

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#15 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

Lol!! I think you are right though, it's possessed by Windows 10. This didn't happen before then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users