Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backups involving both Win7 & Win10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

I plan on upgrading my Win7 Pro desktop to Win10 after this months Windows Updates on my Win7 computer are completed.

I do not expect any problems with my Win7 Pro desktop as it runs excellently.

I use Macrium Reflect Free for monthly system image backups

I haven't had to use the restore feature but I have tested it twice since I started using it 6 months ago

--- The first time was when I used MR the first time and then last month and there weren't any problems either time

So then before I upgrade to Win10 I will create a Win7 system image backup

But I think it's a good idea to create a pristine Win10 system image backup once I have t up and running before adding any apps or 3rd party programs back in

--- I believe it makes sense to create another MR Windows PE 3.1 or whatever the default recovery disc is for Windows 10

I have seen too many posts in which there were Win10 upgrade issues and I think it makes sense to be able to restore a system image backup either way: Win7 Pro or Win10 (BTW, is there a Win10 Pro that I should be upgrading to?

One more concern I have relates to passwords as there some posts complaining about passwords after upgrading to Windows 10. I use passwords to log in to my Administrator & Standard accounts and I also have one for the secret Administrator account..

--- Is there something I need to be sure there will not be password problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

If entitled to the Pro version, the updater will identify this and you'll get the Pro version.

Having some Backups/images is good; having more is better.

Most update issues (that I've seen) happen on well-used systems (and also, those are the systems that are least likely to be able to successfully revert to the previous OS).

I'm uncertain when/if the use of the W7 product key will be allowed to activate your copy of W10.  I believe that it currently works in builds 10565 and later - but am uncertain if there are any updates allowing this in build 10240 (the RTM build).

Backups/images make your choices simpler, but you still have choices to make:

- a clean install of W10 is most likely to work without issues - but this implies that you can activate using your W7 key.  This would be nice to try, but you may not want to spend the time.

- the next most likely to work without issues is a clean install of W7SP1; then update to W10 (may be additional updates required).

- the next would be an update of your W7 as it stands.  If it fails/doesn't work properly you can always do one of the other options.

Finally, there's the benefit of activating W10 online (no matter which method you choose).  Once you W10 installation is activated on the Microsoft servers, the server should identify any subsequent installs of W10 on that hardware and activate them automatically.  If prompted for a product key under these circumstances - you'll skip the first prompt for a product key and you'll tell the 2nd prompt that you want to do it later - then when the installation is done, check and it should be activated already.

I have never seen password problems - but that's easy to deal with.

1)  remove all passwords (write them down so you don't lose them)

2)  install W10

3)  re-enter the passwords

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:52 AM

Thanks usasma. I'll certainly keep your excellent summaries in my notes.

I'd like to add that I plan on doing my Windows 10 upgrade the normal upgrade process but your information is a good summary of what else I can consider

I'm a backup person but I just had to ask ahead of time due to some posts that didn't turn out to well including password issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users