Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor shows "Power Saving Mode" without even showing BIOS first. PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hercules2905

Hercules2905

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:40 AM

My Dell Flatron W1942S showed the message power saving mode on booting up. Didn't even boot up to BIOS and I'm sure I didn't make any major graphics changes in the bios. I'm running on a Radeon HD 5450 through a VGA cable. Up until yesterday it handled the 1440 x 900 resolution perfectly well which is also the highest res that the monitor can do. What might be the cause for this?

The CPU fan is working just fine and so is the Case Fan. There's a small green LED glowing +5VSB_LED.

The weirdest thing is that the HDD LED on my Case glows for 3 seconds on boot but then shuts down forever. Why isn't my HDD LED blinking?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

System is an old one but worked fine till yesterday.
Core Pentium E7200 @ 2.53GHz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
XPro PSU White Horse @ 400W
XFX Radeon 5450
Can't really identify the motherboard Sorry!

Edited by Hercules2905, 09 November 2015 - 04:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

can you boot into safe mode?

if you can't even get to BIOS that indicates a motherboard issue. maybe a fatal one.

that is kind of odd that the thing was working right and without any configuration changes, just blanks out one day.

the +5v is your USB circuit

the HDD light glowing for a few seconds and then nothing indicates a definite boot-up issue, i would  think something loading into RAM is blocking the process.

when was the last time you verified your hard drive was giving a satisfactory SMART test? i have had bad experiences with seagate drives, but like other things, they probably have intermittent production runs where they are good for a while, and then...not so good for another span of time..

anyway, sea-tools for dos is a tool to use to check your hard drive, you burn it to a disc, then load it into the suspect PC, and it bypasses the boot-up to check your hard drive.

Edited by synergy513, 09 November 2015 - 04:56 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Hercules2905

Hercules2905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:17 AM

I'll get back to you with the SeaTools Test.

Thanks a ton!

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

sure thing. but if you can't get to BIOS to change the boot prority to your optical drive where the seatools diagnostic will load...,  oh my, so many directions this could be originating from...gotta go for now, i will check back later in the day for more developments,,,

#5 Hercules2905

Hercules2905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:24 AM

Damn! Something's horribly wrong in that case!

It didn't even detect my USB let alone boot it.

Any other tips?

Someone help please!

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

ok, first things first.   i am thinking in terms of.."if this were my PC, where would i start?

this power supply, x white horse...have you ever changed out a power supply? it is kind of tricky the first time, at least it was for me,,but it can be done in simple fashion....  that is where i would start...if there is a best buy or something in your neghborhood, you can get one there, i would suggest an  evga 500 watt with the 80+ credential. i saw them at the best buy in my neighborhood. not very expensive and you can take the thing back within  a few days if that isn't the solution...or the trusty wal-mart site to store get-up can get it done, but it would take a week or so for the power supply to show up at the store...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-500W-Power-Supply-Unit-80PLUS-12V-100-W1-0500-KR/34943213

you go to the store, go to the electronics area, state your case to the customer service person... state  you want to site-to-store service, lay down the bucks, get your receipt, pick it up a week or so later at the photo lab in the back...if you desire to take it back for a refund, it is super easy.

or you can do it over the net and have it delivered to your home, but i prefer the site to store myself

Edited by synergy513, 09 November 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#7 Hercules2905

Hercules2905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

Hello Synergy. Thanks for helping me out.

The White Horse PSU had been more than sufficient for all my needs until the day before. I don't think that my system needs any more power than the white horse can give, it had been running smoothly for a year now.

But then again I might be wrong, I'll investigate the PSU and get back.

My Place, Mumbai India, doesn't have Walmarts by the way nor Neweggs.

About the motherboard possibility : the USB LED is constantly on. The HDD LED comes on for a few seconds on boot and then never turns on again. When I press the power button, the fans start spinning up. When the system runs for some time, I can feel that the RAM GPU and HDD are hot to touch. So this means that my MoBo might be working well. What do you make of it?

Thanks again!

Edited by Hercules2905, 10 November 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

apologies for the defaulting US marketplace.... i misjudged your good communication skills

ok, the thing is, about the power supply,  there are so many obscure problems that a sub-standard power supply could be causing. that is one component that does degrade over time until eventually, you get a motherboard that is malfunctioning due to not getting what it needs from the power supply . investing in and installing a good power supply is a great way to deduct so many hardware problems., and also.. it can be transferred to another OEM desktop  PC later on, like a good dell or something, that would have a barely capable  power supply in it by default but otherwise has good cpu and such.

if it were my PC, that is where i would start....

some othere noteworthy high quality power supplies are Corsair, xfx and antec.

all of those components getting hot like that is definitely a sign of an electrical mismatch, 40s celsius is quite normal, which would feel warm, and mildly hot

here is a write-up on the power supply subject...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_%28computer%29

Edited by synergy513, 10 November 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#9 Hercules2905

Hercules2905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Is there any way to individually test the PSU? I wanna test it out before splurging money on a new one. Any ways to localize the problem to the individual component?

Is there any user manual online that gives the exact conection of every wire coming put of my PSU? Just want to double check if a wrong connection might be the cause.

Edited by Hercules2905, 10 November 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

yes, i see the PSU testing technique suggested all the time , although i haven't done it myself..it requires purchasing a multi-meter and/or other specialized equipment, which prolly isn't much cheaper than a new power supply

a brief search came up with this..

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

if you haven't been modifying any psu connections, they shouldn't have been msiplaced, although it is possible

there is a big 20+4 pin  and also another separate 4 pin connector to the motherboard, then there is the sata power to your hard drive. it is a real thin one, about 25mm wide..so 3 connections from the psu should be checked out

here is a graphic i found ..

http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-supply-connectors.html

and last but most, the sata communication cable from the motherboard to the hard drive, those can get loosened as easily as the sata power cable. but have nothing to do with the power supply, it is a communication cable, that is it..a brief search revealed this...red cable

Attached Files

Edited by synergy513, 10 November 2015 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users