Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pictures Modified without Me

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 It'sTechnical

It'sTechnical

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

Hello all,

I am new here and am looking for some advice on Windows 7.  Tonight I went in to my Pictures folder and was surprised to see two new folders that I had not created sitting in there.  One was called Camera Roll and the other one I don't recall the name.  They were both created on Sept. 29 2015 but I did not create either one.  I live alone and do not share signons or passwords or anything with anybody.

Both of these new files had both been modified on 10/26/15 and 11/5/15 at exactly the same times 658 pm and 907 pm respectively.  In looking at other files in Pictures, they all have these same modified dates and times as above, but I did not modify them. 

I have not gone into these files in months really.  I just have not been interested in looking at or doing anything with my photography or other pictures I put on my computer in years past.  They have just been sitting in there doing nothing, until now when they have apparently modified themselves.  There are no other modified dates and times listed, just those two as above.

Have I been hacked?  I was on the internet at those times and there are people harassing me who have spied on my browsing history on my home computer.  I believe because they have the MAC # off my wired router they can see my browsing history.  I will be getting another router and I think I should get another computer as well.

Any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 09 November 2015 - 06:53 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:17 AM

G'dayOt'sTechnical, and Welcome to BC.

Do you own a smart phone ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 It'sTechnical

It'sTechnical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:26 AM

Thanks Condobloke

No, I don't have a smart phone.  I'd like to return to smart phone land, but unfortunately someone put surveillance on mine and I won't use them until I can afford to secure them.  I probably sound paranoid and I probably am.  Technology is not secure.

#4 It'sTechnical

It'sTechnical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

I see there are 7 guests reading this topic.  Seems like an odd amount of interest in the middle of the night from people who don't usually even post to this forum.  Well, I've got a long drive tomorrow and I am signing out, but one word more.  I'm being harassed by people at work and they have the MAC address on my router.  They can see my browsing history easily and are probably reading this post.  And in that case, you know who you are and that you have no right to stalk me or bother me and I will pin you down one of these days and I will win.

But for now, for the real members of this forum, I am just looking for some advice, that's all.  I hope someone here can lend some insight to the above issue I posted.  Cheers

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

Bleeping Computer never sleeps.....and the 'reach' is worldwide......so while it may be night time wherever you are...it is broad daylight in other parts of the world....eg...here in Australia.

"" I probably sound paranoid and I probably am"..   .....I agree.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 It'sTechnical

It'sTechnical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Always good to ask the right questions, I suppose.

If I am asking about Windows 7, why would you ask if I have a smart phone?

Seems weird to me.

I may be paranoid, but at least I don't fish people.  Or harass them at work like some others that I know.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

I asked if you had a smartphone because you said the name of one of the folders was 'camera roll'.....this is the name of the folder on my apple iphone which contains pics I have taken and any others that have been sent to me that I have saved.

My initial thought was that maybe you had connected your phone or a digital camera to the pc and forgotten you had done this.

Perhaps you have had a iphone/digital camera/smartphone in the past and the folder still exists ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

A Camera roll folder was created in my Pictures folder when I upgraded to Windows 10, not sure why you got it on W7, probably some type of Windows update, I wouldn't worry about it.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

What were the pictures of, because your browser often saves images you see on webapges as temp files, some of these temp files could have been misplaced and not been deleted, hance creating those mystery images.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

I'm getting mixed messages here so I'll try to cover both scenarios.

It depends whether you believe you could be being hacked.

If you think you are but you label yourself paranoid then I have nothing to say.

If you think you are and you have detected evidence then have a look at the thread whose title begins "Anti-hacking forums..." Go to the end of that and you'll see how to access a ton of great information on the grc.com site.

Currently that thread is on p.2 of the General Security forum. I'll try to add a link later on.

Educate yourself and Good luck :)

Edited by palerider2, 11 November 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

that thread/topic is HERE  

Gibson Research Site

Edited by Condobloke, 11 November 2015 - 05:18 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for that Condobloke :)

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

All good

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users