Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WLAN questions, ethernet vs. no ethernet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

just bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 model 1551 laptop and noticed something different that I didn't see when researching laptops. For WLAN it's Intel Centrino Wireless-AC 3160 and Wireless Technology 802.11ac.  I am not seeing a network port which I have always had before for our office machine. Does it pick up the network wirelessly then? I've always had our router connected to the office machine(via etnernet cord) and have wondered if that was necessary but never got around to checking it out(I have another machine hooked up to the router at the moment and maybe I don't need to do that?).  I have not turned on the machine yet, just ran out of time and energy to set it up tonight. but was looking at the quick start guide just now.....

Am hoping this is just to new me and that I didn't make a mistake buying this laptop. Thanks for any help!  appreciate it as always.

(I did look on another machine I was considering and didn't buy and saw that that one does have a network port but the WLAN is different(ethernet LAN) so maybe I guessed right on this new machine? that it will just pick up the network wirelessly.....it is returnable if I decide I don't like this set up)

Okay, Ms. Ignorant signing off :)

Edited by tobyo, 08 November 2015 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

oh yea....now I'm reading about all the issues others have had or are having with this type of WLAN.....hmmmmmm.....curiouser and curiouser....

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

is there anyone that can answer my questions?? I tried googling but couldn't find the specific answer.

1) am I right that this new Dell doesn't need a network port and ethernet cord and it will pick up my network? I've never had this type of WLAN before.

2) is it necessary to have an ethernet cord connected from my router to a PC?

Thanks for any help.  Yea, I guess if I just turn the thing on I will find out huh? Anybody have opinions about this type of WLAN? Feeling like I made a mistake with this purchase.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:09 AM

Your Dell Inspiron laptop does comes with an Ethernet port according to the manufacturing support site http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-5000-series/pd

As for the wireless card which usually laptops are designed to have both network interface for wired and or wireless, it is dependent for users if either one is your choice of connection or setup. There are distinct advantages of having a wired and wireless connection. Overall, there is no mistake of having both ethernet and wireless as your choice of internet connection.

Edited by jhayz, 09 November 2015 - 07:10 AM.

Tekken

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks jhayz....but, actually, it does not have an ethernet port. I'm not terribly fond of Dell's specs on their site for a few reasons, one of them being that they don't give you the model number(so that you could look up on Best Buy or other vendor that provides more specs). Which is the case with the link you provided.  Neither of those machines are the one that I bought. And I'm not finding where it lists the ports on those machines at your link either :( If I were the manufacturer I would want to provide as much information as possible on my website, but that is just me......

I think I found the answer to my ethernet cord question and I'm pretty sure I can disconnect it from the router (ASUS RT-N53) and an older machine that I've retired but it still functions. Thanks for the informative article about wired vs. wireless connections.  I appreciate it. 

I think I'm just having buyer's remorse and beating myself up that I didn't notice the unfamiliar WLAN or that it didn't have an ethernet port. I'll turn it on tonight and I'll bet all will be fine. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Edited by tobyo, 09 November 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users