Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WILL PLACING THE OS IN A SSD IMPROVE SCAN TIMES?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:57 PM

Since I installed Windows 10, scan times for antimalwares, antivirus and simply cleaning (like CCleaner) have increased dramatically.

It has just taken me 74 minutes to complete a Bitdefender 2015 system scan,

and my last CCleaner scan took about 600 secs to complete.

I have a Intel i5 4670 which runs at 3.4 Ghz and Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 16 GB RAM @1600 Mhz

I am seriously contemplating a return to Win7 since I don't use all the fancy stuff Win10 comes with.

Would adding an SSD and migrating the OS to the SSD significantly improve these scan times?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

Long Scans ? depends on the Size of your Drive.

Moving to SSD will improve Scan times.

Keeping the Operating system lean in size will also help , if you have a 2nd partition use that for storage of personal files , Docs , Pics, etc.

This is what i do , that way the C:\ Drive should only grow minimally with Updates etc.

My normal full scan with Avast takes about 1-2 hrs but rarely do i do that , as it monitors all my actions in real time , as most do. 

You should ensure prior to any scanning that you have cleaned out Temp files , History , Recycle Bin etc { Ccleaner }

My C:\ Drive is currently 60 Gig and takes under 5min to cleanup with Ccleaner and i delete old restore points Monthly with it also , the more often you clean with it the quicker it will be , yet if you do it over a longer period it will always take longer.

I run Win 7 , so Win 10 maybe slightly different but shouldnt really effect you , if it persists being an issue and your scans come up clean , i would do a check on your drive for any possible issues with GSmartControl   http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Home

Edited by Havachat, 08 November 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#3 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

I had Win7 and CCleaner always was below 30 seconds. I have 3 partitions plus 3 external HDD. All my personal files, backups, program installers, etc. are in my external HDDs.

Drive C: contains only the OS and nothing else. I use CCleaner every day.

Thanks for the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users