Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cloud4004

cloud4004

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

Whenever I stick my new flash drive in my usb port I get the ol' blue screen of death (if that's what it's called). I'm thinking it may be because I had some driver problems a long time ago and I ended up getting rid of some files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers... What are the standard driver's that come in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & is there a place I can download them, thank you..

ps. Thus far this site kicks ass. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

If you have your Windows CD handy, then you might want to do a repair install-- this should reinstall all the standard Win drivers without affecting your installed programs and data.

Of course, whenever you mess around wit the OS like this, it is a good idea to back up your data in case something goes wrong.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

Also, you may want to reinstall your motherboard/chipset drivers. They're what controls the USB stuff - and missing components could be what's causing your BSOD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

You can get system drivers from Windows Updates (Using IE only!) - let it scan your system.

Do you have all Windows Updates loaded including SP2 and subsequent updates?

#5 cheto

cheto

• Banned
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

Whenever I stick my new flash drive in my usb port I get the ol' blue screen of death (if that's what it's called). I'm thinking it may be because I had some driver problems a long time ago and I ended up getting rid of some files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers... What are the standard driver's that come in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & is there a place I can download them, thank you..

ps. Thus far this site kicks ass. :thumbsup:

go to microsoft using IE and search for sp2 click on the first thing under the line and then download from there it will take 10 to 15 minutes to download everything and now if this doesnt work then you might want to put in your recovery disks to fix this...

if you dont got recovery disk get 8 blank disks and follow these steps

1.Click start and go to all programs
2.Click on Hewlett-Packard
3.Go to HP PAVILION PC TOOLS and Click on it
4.Then go to Hp recovery cd creator

#6 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Is the flashdrive working fine on other computers? Try updating drivers

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

FWIW - we could use the info from the BSOD. Here's a link to an annotated picture of one (and instructions on how to use the Event Viewer): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users