Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted mouse clicks while typing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thrillhouse15

Thrillhouse15

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I updated my HP Pavilion laptop to Windows 10 last weekend. Ever since then, I've had a problem any time I'm typing. I can't seem to type for more than 5 seconds without a left click happening on its own (sometimes it's a right click, oddly), which usually either opens a menu, moves where in the document/webpage I'm typing, or stops my typing altogether.

For example, if I'm on an email website, and click New Mail or Reply and leave my cursor hovering over that button, after about five seconds of my typing, the button is clicked again. If I'm typing in a box (like I'm doing right now), I can keep the cursor hovering over the box and my cursor will click somewhere else in the box suddenly, or if I keep the cursor hovering over the outside of the page it'll click and suddenly I can't type anymore. If the cursor is hovering over something I've already typed, I'm suddenly typing back in that earlier text.

This happens when using both a wireless mouse or the touchpad. I typically have the touchpad turned off so I can use the wireless mouse, but have the same problem with the mouse off and its USB dongle not connected.

I also have a problem when using the touch pad that after I've typed for, again, about five seconds the touch pad is completely unresponsive. That's not as bad a problem, since I normally use the wireless mouse. But I'd like to get that fixed, too.

Can someone please help me? This is extremely frustrating. It's taken me at least three times as long to write this as it should have, due to the stopped typing and having to correct mistakes from getting redirected to earlier in the post. This can't be normal for Windows 10. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

My guess is that with the installation of Windows 10 your various settings were set back to their defaults.  In my case, and that of many, the touch settings for the mouse pad are way too sensitive and the mouse pad is not set to be automatically disabled if an external pointing device is detected.

Go into the settings for your mouse pad and see first whether it is disabled in the presence of an external pointing device.  The unwanted clicks sound like accidental contact with a mouse pad that's quite sensitive (my HP was way too sensitive and I had an Acer where I ultimately had to disable click-by-tap functionality because it was hypersensitive on "max heavy touch" and "max palm check" settings).

Then, without an external device connected, play with the settings for the mouse pad to make it match your touch (which is probably much heavier than the defaults) to get rid of the excess sensitivity or turn off the tap-to-click feature entirely and rely on the hard buttons.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Thrillhouse15

Thrillhouse15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that's the issue, though. I'm having this problem with the touch pad completely disabled. It can't be somehow related to the sensitivity of the touch pad because the touch pad is off when it happens. It also happens when I have the mouse disconnected and am just using the touch pad.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

If you haven't checked at the HP website to see if there's an updated driver for the mouse pad in your laptop you should do so.

I'm having weird behaviors with the mouse pad on an older Dell Inspiron that I've still not found a solution for and suspect it's a driver issue.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Thrillhouse15

Thrillhouse15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

I have the HP Support Assistant installed. I ran all its diagnostics and everything came back normal. Nothing new update or install. And when I check the mouse and touch pad drivers in Device Manager, it says I have the current drivers for both.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

If the system isn't "certified" by HP for W10, the Support Assistant won't provide you with W10 drivers.

Also, the results from Support Assistant and from manually chacking the website are frequently different.

Device Manager only checks Windows/Microsoft update for drivers.

So the drivers can be up to date there - but the manufacturer may not have uploaded any more recent drivers, so it won't show that they're out of date.

Finally, updates to W10 frequently show problems in the audio, video, and touchpad drivers.

If unable to find a W10 compatible version for your system, there are other drivers out there that can be used.

At work I use Toshiba touchpad drivers (both for Synaptics and Elan touchpads) on many different systems - in order to fix the W10 issues.

What is the exact model of your HP?

We'll use this webpage to start looking for W10 drivers for your system:  http://support.hp.com/us-en

Edited by usasma, 10 November 2015 - 07:05 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users